Not a question ... just an observation (Warning could be offensive to pagans). adult content

All this ranting about Christians "steeling" pagan holidays, myths, etc. reminded me of a little poem I've heard about how a toddler views "property rights." It could easily be applied to the pagans whining about "their" holidays:

* If I like it, it's mine.
* If it's in my hand, it's mine.
* If I can take it from you, it's mine.
* If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
* If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
* If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
* If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
* If I think it's mine, it's mine.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 8:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I usually find myself agreeing with a lot of what you say, scripturally speaking...but I find this immature, and unnecessary.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Funny, cause that poem reminds me more of the Christians who first condemn Paganism and then lay claim to myths, traditions and celebrations which were all Pagan to begin with...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:27 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Funny, this year I've heard more christians bitching about "non" believers celebrating "their" holiday. Immature and childish? yes. It's a holiday and I am free in this country, to celebrate or not celebrate however i wish.
    Same goes for pagans and christians and whoever else.
    You claim pagans are "whining" yet you post this? Now who's whining?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• eye rolling

Anonymous

• Could say the same about Christians... you know, that whole "reason for the season" BS....but, eh, none of those holidays are within my path, so I do not worry about all to much.. other than when people who seem to either fail to grasp time flow or history, claim that their religion came up with it.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 8:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• At least you posted a warning in the original post. My concerns are when "some" not all but a few Christians have a problem with Non-Christians celebrating the season, when in reality the holiday's roots ARE Pagan in the first place. I don't have an issue sharing said season. I don't like it when a "few" Christians do not want to leave others in peace to be a part of a the joyous time of year. MOST Christians are true ambassadors of their relationship with their God and they do not worry about who believes what.  Those are the ones who reach past beliefs and remain in the hearts of everyone they touch with their words of kindness and peace. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 9:01 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think the same thing could be said about the other side as well or anyone saying someone is 'stealing' ideas when ideas should be shared.

My view: I don't think religions really 'own' these ideas, so no one is really 'stealing' anything from each other. I don't know about every pagan on here (and probably haven't seen every post on this topic), but it's been my impression that they just wanted the history acknowledged for the most part.

Who owns the stuff of religion?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• ". This is probably one of the more popular way to write off the legitimacy of Christianity - call it a cheap knock of paganism."

If you have faith in your god and his story of birth and life on earth, then what the hell are you worried about? Who friggin cares if pagans or anyone else trries to "illegitimize" your religious holiday. If it's real and religious to you, then that is what it is. stop trying to justify what pagans are saying, and you won't have to defend your beliefs so much.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Honestly, I think that goes both ways. I think it's stupid to even have that dumb argument, and I have no idea why people are so hell-bent on trying to prove that one religion stole the other's traditions. I think people just need something to whine about.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• ROFLMFAO!!!! Strange. I don't recall a hoard of Pagans saying Christmas belongs to the Pagans. I saw a lot of Christians trying to give away the holiday as being Pagan corrupted!!
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:02 PM on Dec. 31, 2010