Do you feel that a Higher Education is necessary?

PA-PAGrandma

Asked by PA-PAGrandma at 8:37 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in

• 10 years ago naww. These days omg yes yes. My kids are being raised that college is an extension of high school, which is not optional.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes! All you have to do is look at the unemployment figures for those with college educations vs those without. Huge difference!

Answer by missanc at 8:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It depends on how you want to live. I know people that live paycheck to paycheck who are completely happy with the way they live. Then there are others who freak out when they're roots are showing and have to get their hair done every month. So depending on how you want to live, yes it's necessary.
    To me....yes. I'd like to not have to worry if i'm going to have money to pay my bills!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 8:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It depends on what you want to do with your life- for some people college just isn't right- financially, mentally, intellectually, or even emotionally. We will not be forcing my son to attend college, although I would at least like him to go to a trade school. There are plenty of jobs that people NEED to do, but you don't need a college degree for- someone has to pick up your garbage, clean your child's school or your workplace, ship that package, plow/salt your roadway, fix your toilet, or even sweep your chimney. None of those things require a college education- some need trade education, apprenticeships, or nothing at all. Some of them pay quite well!

As long as my child grows up and can be a productive member of society, pay all his own bills, and above all be happy- how can I ask any more? If that means my son is your janitor, mechanic, or garbage man so be it- I'll still be proud of him.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Depends on the person. Not everyone is college material the top 40 percent of a high school graduating class should definitely consider it the bottom 60 percent should look to trade schools and other training programs.

Anonymous

• Yes I do too. That piece of paper means the difference between a job or no job
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 8:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• For my child, most definately!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• There are people who can be very successful without a college education (think talented artists, musicians, smart entrepreneurs), but they are the exception rather than rule.
    A degree does not always guarantee success, just as the lack of one does not always mean failure.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Most certainly it is! If you check out the job market, anything out there worth doing for a living now is requiring some sort of higher education. When I lost my job, I had to return to school at 41 years old in order to achieve a decent paying career. What I did before now requires at least 2 years of higher education and no one would speak to me based upon my experience alone. I am highly encouraging my daughter to go to college after she graduates this year because of seeing this first hand out there. It's a jungle!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think it can be a great help, but unfortunately the way things are, right now it might not mean much. There are so many people who have degrees and are paying on student loans, but can't get paid much more than they would otherwise. It also depends on what you want to do with your life. In my husband's line of work, a college education would mean nothing. He's in a unique situation because he makes several times more money than most of the people I know with college degrees. That's rare though. Down the road when the country is more stable, I think that a college education will probably mean more, like it used to.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010