episiotomy

Did you get a choice about getting an episiotomy? Were you informed about why you needed one?

DebateandRelate

Asked by DebateandRelate at 9:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• no and no.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I did not get a choice, I tore!! It sucked!!!! (I guess it's not really the same thing) I assume it would have been better to have been cut, but the worse part was getting the stitches afterwards.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:09 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It depends Ann - from what I have been told the head is the widest part and the part that causes the "damage". The thing about tearing is that it occurs in the line of least resistance, ie where the tissue has stretched the most and is easiest to "unzip". Cutting cuts straight through the muscles as well as the skin.
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 10:27 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• That makes sense!! Because I kept squeezing his head back in because it hurt so bad! I had an epidural but it didn't work correctly and they didn't have time to re-do it.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• No, i didn't have. I tore. My daughter came so fast, I don't think they had time to do much :) Plus, I've read a lot that says natrual tears heal better than the forced cut.
    Anonymous

• To the anonymouse poster every OB I spoke to told me that it's better not to tear and to get an epi because epi's heal faster since it's a clean cut as apposed to a tare. And I had one friend who tore so badly she had to have "plastic surgery" to fix it. Which her insurance did not cover.

I had two epi's so that I would not tare. They healed with in less then 2 weeks, I never had a problem with either and the stiches were the desolvible kind.

I wouldn'y worry too much about the brithing process, everyone does and they gain nothing from it. What you have to worry about is having a compatent doctor or team of doctors like I had. Be informed as much as you can but rememeber you wont have all the answers and that's okay too.

No worries, jusy enjoy the process and it can be enjoyable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• According to this site, anon: http://www.birthingnaturally.net/birthplan/hospital/episiotomy.html it takes longer for the episiotomy to heal, on average. Also, this site has great info: http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/episiotomy/a/aa042897.htm . All this aside, it doesn't mean that some tear worse than others and that an episiotomy wouldn't have been helpful in those instanances. It always depends on the situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I told my midwife that I didnt want one unless it was needed. Unfortunately I needed two, and yes she told me both times.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 1:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Nov. 11, 2008 by: Anonymous - I love my OB's dearly but of course an OB is going to tell you that. They want to get it done and over with as quick as possible. They don't care to sit there and do what's necessary to make it better for you. (Not ALL are like this of course, but many are). Cutting you up the wazzu is faster for them and gets baby out faster than being patient, letting you push naturally with contractions which gradually widens the passage out, and doing a perineal massage on you. This takes time, something they don't have, another baby is likely to be born soon, more money is to be made, they need you to hurry it up so they can move on to the next. Why is it midwives have a lower occurrence of it "needing" to be done?
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 11:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2008