Have you put an addition on your home? What was the process like?

We are considering adding a master bedroom/bath onto our ground floor.

tortkey

Asked by tortkey at 9:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes. I strongly recommend you do some thorough research on the contractors in your area. We chose one that was a complete idiot and hired homeless guys from the labor camp to do a lot of the work (do not misunderstand me - I have no problem with hiring them to work, but the problem is, they were usually drunk, showed up for 2 hours and then left). The floor in the bedroom we had added on is sloped to one side (I have to shim the dresser so it's level). And it took about 8 months for them to add one room. I've seen entire houses built in less time! The good thing is - he wasn't a "crook", just an incompetent jerk! lol
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 9:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes, in fact we are in the middle of the process now (our third home that we've had work done to). We have used an online Co called Service Magic, picked contractors through this service, and conducted interviews. We have never been disappointed (we have done this for additions, windows, doors, interior and exterior painting, tree trimming and landscape services). Living amongst the mess can be very difficult.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We've remodeled a former garage into a den. The ONE person that the contractor had working on our house was not the best. He was a great framer. The room is extremely sound (we had floor joists installed so the floor is the same level as the rest of the house), but when it came to the sheet rock installation and finish....well, we ended up having them bring someone else in. Hubby apprenticed as a builder in Middle and High School, so he knows how to put up and finish sheet rock. He just chooses not to do that in his spare time. Once it was finished correctly, it was fine. But like 5BabyBees says - do your homework. Ask to talk to references, even see photos or the actual work. Some contractors do just remodels and additions, some do new builds, remodels, additions etc. Find out what permits will be needed and make sure that the contractor secures these. Good luck with it!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Still in the process. My husband is a carpenter, so it's going pretty good. It's costing a lot more than we anticipated though.
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011