when did you start giving your kids chores?

i taught my oldest(8)when she was 4 to wash dishes and sweep i would always stand over just to make sure she did it right and by the time she was 5 five she knew how to wash them herslef after she washed them i would have her load them in the dishwasher so that i can start it(we wash them by hand first and then we use the dish washer) my youngest(6)was taught at the same age
& the kitchen stays spotless they both wash dishes sweep,mop wipe down the counters,:)

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 9:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 3y/o fold the wash rags :) She enjoys it! That's all so far though.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• my oldest is 2. he is learning to throw his own garbage away....sometimes does it w out being told and others i take him by the hand and do it lol
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:22 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I started giving my kids little chores at two. Put their dirty clothes in the hamper, put clean socks in their drawers, and they helped fold wash clothes. Their chores have slowly gotten harder as they got older. My daughter takes out the bathroom trash, puts all her and her brothers clothes on hangers and hangs them up and takes care of their puppy. Those are her regular chores. My almost 3 year old has to keep his things put away... clothes, toys and shoes.
    Proud_Mommy05

Answer by Proud_Mommy05 at 9:24 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• my oldest was 2yrs and if he spilled some thing he had to wipe it
    my kids know how do laundry ,dishes ,cook full course meal and clean house
    at the age of ten
    i have told my boys that there are woman out there that can not cook or clean
    and then their our woman who love to have their hubby clean up after them self
    and help wife given her time away from the home
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:31 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• This is all so eye opening i had not thought about giving my son 4 things to on a reg. I mean he know to put his dirty clothes away but i didn't think of that as a chore. now i want to think of something for him to do I thought he was to little I was just wait until he could take out the trash lol
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 9:38 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My 2 they were cleaning up their own toys/room with help and by 3 I expected them to do it themselves (without help) and to put away their folded clothes, put dirty clothes in the hamper, put dirty dishes in the sink and my youngest dd (now 4 1/2) learned how to empty the dishwasher on her own. By 4 they were required to FOLD and put their clean clothes away and to start wiping down the counters after they eat and to try and sweep up. Each year I added more chores to their lists. My older kids learned to do their own laundry at 9, 8 and 7. But, by 3 they all had actual chores they were expected to do on their own without help.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:21 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• When they were in Kindergarten--making their beds (placing comforter on top and fixing pillows), putting toys away properly (not just haphazardly in a bin), helping to make snacks, and meals, cleaning up their messes--spills, dirt/mud, food, etc., wiping and setting the table, loading the dishwasher and clothes washer/dryer. 

Just lots of "little things" that they were mostly interested in helping me with, having watched me do it.

Now they're 9 and 7 and I have a posted "schedule" of things to do around the house.  Their motivation in doing these chores is a primer for us getting a dog this summer--as they are going to have to help take care of him! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My kids are 4 and 5 and they have chores. No matter how old they are, they can always do something :) Putting laundry in their dresser, wiping baseboards, etc :)
    Milaya2

Answer by Milaya2 at 10:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My 2 and 3 yr old are in charge of helping me unload the dishwasher (plastics, pots, pans)...picking up trash in the yard, i don't think it is ever too early to give them "little" jobs until they are old enough to do real chores such as sweeping, cleaning room ect. Mine always get rewarded with 5 M&M's as long as they help me!
    COWGIRLinPEARLs

Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 9:34 PM on Jan. 1, 2011