Were people 20 or 30 years ago as apt to butt in to a stranger's business?

I've seen comments here on CM lately about moms who are told that painting a little girl's nails is wrong, chewed out for putting yellow Gatorade (accuser thought it was Mt. Dew) in a bottle, commenting on whether or not a 3 year old should spend a few hours a week in preschool and even a person who thought she saw a mom who might have gotten rough with her kid - in a crowded holiday mall. All of these people feel the need to stick their noses in where they don't belong. Was this the case in decades past or have we reached the point in society where people are really that bold and rude?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 9:41 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Absolutely NOT scout_mom. But at that time, most moms had the same philosophy when it came to discipline. Nowadays there are so many different parenting styles out there... I know it drives us "older" people crazy!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Are you kidding? Back when my Parents were kids, when my Grandparents were kids it was acceptable (even if not wanted) to stick your nose in other people's business. Nothing has changed except that it is widely publisized more then it was back when they were kids.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• No... but we didn't have the internet either. We didn't have a place where moms got together to ask questions...

Um, scratch that.. we had PTA, but we always just talked about them behind their backs after they left...!!! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:44 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My mom was horrible about the neighbors,,lol,,,but really, she was such a critic of the whole damn world, it used to drive me nuts! I try not to be that way in here. Of course we didnt have the internet back then to voice our opinions like we do now.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes, people have been interfering in other peoples business for YEARS! Its just that HOW we parent has changed. What used to be discipline is now abuse. What was then overlooked may now be harmful for the child's well being. We keep them as close to us for as long as we can because too many are afraid of children being abducted. They wear seat belts, ride in car seats, wear bike helmets all in the name of safety. And because we have these safety features everyone feels the need to call parents out if they don't use them.
    But honestly, people did this in the past also, they just didn't have as MUCH to call parents on.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Gossip & rudeness was not invented by our generation- that's for sure. It's been around since the beginning of mankind. We just got better at it over the years. Esp. now that we can be in your face 24/7 thanks to the net.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have yet to have someone come up to me and put their nose in my business nor have a witnessed it. I have seen those posts as well and thought that there were quite a few of them today. While some of them might have actually happened, I call BS on a few of them.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Scout: Maybe the dumb broad thought she was on an episode of "What would you do?" - LOL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• But did they feel free to walk up to a complete stranger and tell them which of their parenting choices were not up to par?
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes, at least in my area.
    It's always been the thought of that 'it takes a village' to raise a child.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 31, 2010