What would you think if your dh left your dd home alone?

I left my dd with dh while I go to the home improvemnt store to buy pipes and sprinklers to fix our backyard and when I get home dh was gone and left my dd alone. I know dd is not a baby anymore she's 11 but I have never left her alone before. He didn't even call me to tell me he was leaving. Am I overreacting? This only makes me feel like he doesn't care and does not love his dd.

momplus01

Asked by momplus01 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Id be furrious. Where the hell did he go that was so damn important???/
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 10:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Where did he go?
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 10:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I let my 11 yer old stay home alone for a short time. I don't think it is that big of a deal. I also do not think it means he doesn't love her.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:12 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think that leaving a child alone for the 1st time should be discussed & agreed upone BEFORE it is actually done. I'd be mad too. That's still kinda young to be left alone, no matter how "mature" they may seem. I'm w/ you on this one mama.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think he should have called you but 11 is a good age to be left alone as long as he explained to her about stangers and not anwering the door. I was 9 when i started staying at home alone everyday after school from 3:30 to 5.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My younger daughter is 11 and we let her stay home alone as long as we are staying in town. I don't think it's a big deal.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think it completely depends on maturity level of the child and where he went. I started staying home at 9, but I knew better than to open a door for a stranger or to answer the phone. I also had an aunt living two houses down from us, so I was still kind of "supervised". What was so important that she couldn't go with him?
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:14 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• 11 years old? Its time for you to start leaving her alone for short periods of time and go over what she should do in the case of certain things. She probably knows how to contact your cellphone. It is being a little bit over protective to get so upset over this. He knew you were coming right back. It isn't like you were gone hours away. I know of 11 year olds that babysit preschoolers. Its time.
    Anonymous

• I'm also wondering where he went and how long he expected to be out. I would be upset that he didn't call and tell me that he was leaving her, especially if he was assuming that I would be back any minute, because I might have decided to go to another store since I knew he was with her, or taken some other detour on the way home if I didn't know she was home alone waiting for me. I wonder why he had to go right then, and why he couldn't take her with him.
    debbymichelle

Answer by debbymichelle at 10:17 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would be upset that he didn't discuss this w/ you first!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:18 PM on Dec. 31, 2010