worms?

I recently took my son, who ws complaining of his bottom itching him, to the doctor. She said that he's got a type of worm that isn't bad, but causes itching when it layes its eggs around the rectum. She said she wasn't worried about giving him medications to kill the worms, saying instead that if we keep him from scratching, or making him wash his hands after we catch him scratching, as well as keeping him from putting his hands anywhere near the mouth of the rest of the kids, we can get rid of it ourselves. She didn't even tell me what these worms were called! Only said that they were common in children, even if the parents never know about it she said that 90% of kids get this type of worm. She said that he probably got it from an animal who did their business either at the daycare or the apartment complex yards.
Has anyone else experienced something like this? And if you have, IS there medication or something we can do to get rid of these parasites? I don't care if the doctor says they are harmless, I don't want my little boy to have any type of parasite!

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 10:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Pinworms my son has had them. You HAVE to treat the entire family with a pill and than take another dose two weeks later. You also need to launder the sheets everyday during the treating period and vacum very well. They are not harmful just annoying. My doctor said that a lot of adults have pinworms and don't even relize it. If you check with a flash light at night you can see them. It will give you the willys though.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 10:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It's pinworms and I would go to a different Dr, they can give you a pill to get rid of them.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:29 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Call the pharmacist and ask if there is anything over the counter they can give you as well until Monday.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would get a second opinion, a parasite is a parasite.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• THANK YOU! I was at my wits end trying to figure something out for him! I HATED that she said it was nothing! How can worms be NOTHING??! you know???
    Our pharmacy's closed now, but I will be calling first thing in the morning and seeing what they have to say. Thank you so much!
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• gives me the willies just thinking of my precious little boy HAVING them. I NEVER wanted anything like this to happen to my kids! It was so horrible when I was told he had worms, even if she said that they weren't harmful!
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Dec. 31, 2010