Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know what it feels like to have a hip out of place? My hip hurts really bad and I'm just wondering if that's what it could be. Do I just go to the dr. and then they pop it back in?

Answer Question

Asked by DreaB83 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Health

Level 9 (362 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • No, you go to the chiropractor. A doctor will dole out pain meds, prescribe physical therapy, all kind of unnecessary expensive things. A trip to the chiro is drug free, much less expensive, and just better for you. Yes, my hips go out all the time, and I've been able to pop them back in myslef most of the time thanks to the chiropractor - and of course to the chiro I go when I can't. I love my chiro.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • You could go to a DO (Doctor of Osteopathy), who would be able to address both sides of the problem, with medicine or with manipulation. (Chiropracty is merely a spin-off of osteopathy.) A chiroprator can only use manipulation, MD's only use a medical approach, but a DO has both sets of tools to work with. Also a DO is more likely to address the person and problem as a whole, rather than as a set of symptoms as an MD would. DO's are also more likely to start with simple solutions, then work up to more expensive and/or invasive measures. Depending on where you live, you will probably find one not too far away.

    Answer by mikesmom65270 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • The DO sounds good, but it sounds like a specialist and you would need a referral? If you have insurance issues I would see a chiropractor first, but if you have good insurance definitely go with the DO.

    Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • My right hip pops out of place often since I had my first child. the easiest thing to do is go to the chiropractor and have him assess it and let them adjust everything, back, neck, hips and get it all balanced out at the same time and it will keep it from happening again anytime soon unless you have a serious problem. my chiropractor loves to see me, i pay their electric bill every 6 months or so lol

    Answer by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 12:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • Thanks for all the advice. I've never been to the chiropractor so maybe it's about time.

    Comment by DreaB83 (original poster) at 12:43 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • just be careful, maybe your doctor can order an MRI for you. If the hip is popping out, you may have a labral tear. but you should see someone before it gets worse.

    Answer by Jordansmommy777 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • Most DO's are family practice physicians, a referral would not be necessary. Some DO's are specialists and might r4equire a referral; however a family practice DO would be able to handle a problem like yours. The training DO's undergo is the same as MD's except they have the extra tool of osteopathic manipulation. My son and my sister are both DO's and I much prefer DO's over MD's any day.

    Answer by mikesmom65270 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
For those.....

Next question overall (Entertainment)
Any movie recommendations?