a tithing question

ok..im ready to get back into church but im not sure how to tithe or offer..i know the bible say 10% back..
my question is..if made $100 in january i know that i am supp to give god back 10% which would be $10..now what if i didnt spend any of that money so i have $90 left from january..so in febuary i make the same $100 which gives me $190 this month do i have to give 10% of 190 or just the $100 i made for the month of feb..

FreeSpriT4eva

Asked by FreeSpriT4eva at 10:51 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Just the $100.00 there is no need to double up you already paid on first $100.00
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 10:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• with your line of thinking, 10% is 10%. think of it as a budgeting thing; take 10% out of each paycheck, and put it in the tithes/offerings. if you made $190 in one month, then 10% would be $19.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I dont always give the 10% its just a number. Just give from your heart
    One month we didnt have any extra so we didnt give any but the next couple months my hubby made good money so we gave a little extra. Just give what you can from your heart and God will use it.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• That is what is recommended, but most churches don't micromanage your offerings.
    However, my ex husband was Catholic and his church would send him a bill in the beginning of the year stating "This is what you said you make, this is what you need to give as an offering". I was like "Are you freaking kidding me???"
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I really want to encourage you to just give from your heart. When I was able to tithe monetarily I gave more than 10 percent. I understand the principle of tithing and understand that when you sow in you reap back a whole lot more however that is not why I tithe. I do it because I love to give and bless others.

Layh there is a church here where I live that does that and tell you that in order to be a member you have to tithe. Needless to say I avoided that church like the plague.. it is a 1st baptist church too. Surprised me !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:04 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• It's 10% - the first fruits of your labor. If your labor for January produces $100 of "fruit," you'd give $10 of that fruit. The "fruit" that you produce in February is separate from the "fruit" you produce in January, and since you've already given of your "fruit" for January, you need only be concerned with your "fruit" from February.

That being said, Christ said he wanted a cheerful giver, and praised the poor widow for giving a mite which was everything she had. The point is not how much, but rather that you give with a cheerful heart trusting that God will give you your provision.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• However, my ex husband was Catholic and his church would send him a bill in the beginning of the year stating "This is what you said you make, this is what you need to give as an offering". [layh]

Tell me you are kidding??? I mean the church we attended was focused on money but Holy Crap!! Was the name of the church "St. Greenback of the Extra Greedy"?

OP ... I saw a post earlier this week about tithing, can't find it at the moment, but it was mentioned that tithing can also be in the form of volunteering your time. Oh and to answer your question, it's 10% on what you make, not what you save from the previous week/month (however you are paid). 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• "This is what you said you make, this is what you need to give as an offering"

Wow! That is outrageous ... sounds a bit like the Pharisees and money-changers that Christ scolded.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:08 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• "However, my ex husband was Catholic and his church would send him a bill in the beginning of the year stating "This is what you said you make, this is what you need to give as an offering". I was like "Are you freaking kidding me???"

That was just one church, I've belonged to several Catholic parishes in my lifetime, and never once have we had anything like that. The only time I saw that was during a building fund campaign, and that was just to tell us how much we pledged, it was a one-time thing. However, the Baptist church my sister-in-law used to go to sent out statements each month and asked for money twice or sometimes more during each service, they left that church long ago.

You have to remember, OP, that tithing means time, treasure, and talent. You don't always have to give a monetary donation, your time and talent donated to the church are also greatly appreciated... at least at most good churches.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• TY..ladies we have churches here that wont help u out if u dont give a certain amount of money a yr to their church..an i didnt actually know that there was other ways of tithing an offering like time,donations..that new to me..

the churches here seems to want more money than time..an there are a lot that want u to be a member a yr bfore u can even volunteer..so thats y i posted this qestion..again TY..

FreeSpriT4eva

Comment by FreeSpriT4eva (original poster) at 11:54 PM on Dec. 31, 2010