I'm trying to make red pepper hummus.

I just got a Magic Bullet and I want to make Hummus with it. I've got the beans, which aren't in the can. The only recipes I can find call for canned beans. I know I soak these overnight but do I boil them first? Also, how to I incorporate the red bell pepper? Just mix it in?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes boil the beans as far as the rest I am not sure. Good luck. Hummus is one of my favorites!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 11:05 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You definitely need to cook the beans until they are tender. I have never made red pepper hummus, but it would probably be really good with roasted red pepper. You can roast the red pepper whole on the grill until the skin is blistered, then let it cool. The skin should come off easily, then you take out the seeds and puree the pepper in the blender along with the chick peas and olive oil. This is highly experimental, but it is making me hungry!!
    KrazyChick

Answer by KrazyChick at 11:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The hummus will come out better if you steam the chickpeas, rather than boil. 1.5 cups equals one can

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• LOL let me say - I've not tried it from scratch but I had some roasted red pepper hummus last night and my kids were NOT impressed - which tickled dh and I to bits rofl
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 6:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011