Is it so terrible???

My daughter is severly ADD! She has caused me serious trouble most of her life. She is now 16 and seems to have calmed down some and is trying to stay out of trouble, her only hang up is smoking pot. She refuses to give it up. Honestly when she comes home high, she is better behaved and more well mannered than when she's not high and doesn't even act stoned. She is determined to make it her life mission to have Marijuana legalized and refuses to stop no matter what consequences I give. The only thing I worry about is her getting in trouble with the law if she is ever caught, but even they aren't doing much of anything as long as they know you aren't selling it.
So, is it so terrible?
Julsy

Julsy

Asked by Julsy at 10:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think it's that terrible either. As long as she is keeping up in school and staying out of trouble, I wouldn't throw a fit about it. I would NOT want her to keep it in the house, because that puts the whole household in jeopardy, and she needs to be well educated in your state laws.

You might even find out if your state has a medical marijuana program. With your consent, she might be able to get a doctors reccomendation making it legal for her to use, posess, grow, and even distribute to other liscenced users. Check out http://norml.org to look up your state laws.
    Anonymous

• In all honesty, I can say from experience that yes pot helped my ADD moments. I'm not sure if you would find any hard evidence on that. But that was my experience. Of course I did learn other ways of coping and no longer smoke it.

best advise - tell her not to have hardly any on her or at her home. They WILL charge her with intent to sell if she has too much on her.

I do not think it is terrible.
    Anonymous

• No it's not terrible, I don't smoke myself but know people who do and find that they are some of the nicest and hard working people I know. It may not be a lifestyle choice that I chose but at least in this case it makes your daughter a more bearable person then when she isn't doing it.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's terrible, the only thing I see wrong with it is her age. Other than that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    Anonymous

• I would lay ground rules as to her usage (no driving, etc., etc)., but no, it's not terrible. Bottom line, pot is a medicine. She's way better off using it than Ritalin, actually, which can give her heart problems down the road. If she's being a better student and all around better "person" because of using an herbal medicine, more power to her. Just help teach her responsible use, just like with any medicine.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 10:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• If you are asking from a moral standpoint, no it's not terrible. BUT, I would be worried about the legal end of it. If it would be found in your home, could you be charged (even if it were in her stuff)?
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Is this something that your could talk to your child's doctor about since it seems to help her ADD. Could it be medically prescribed?

I am not for kids smoking pot or cigarettes as My husband has smoked so long and now they think he has lung cancer. A biopsy is being preformed tomorrow. Kids think it can't happen to them.

Good luck in working thigs out with your daughter.
    flutterby.16

Answer by flutterby.16 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Hello,
    I have a 14 soon to be 15 year old son and we are dealing with the same scene. He also says he feels better,calmer and more apt to deal with life when he smokes.
    I simply cannot win this battle and I except what I can not change.
    Good luck to you, good luck to us all ,raising teens is harder than it used to be.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Hi,
    i have a daughter to be 15 year old in this weekend with the same scene, she says she feels better, calmer and happy! i just ground her a week and say to her why the reason, i told her when she tune 18, if she still think smoke still good to her , i will let her go... but now is my responsible to stop her to have this bad hobby, wish will work and good luck to us!
    shirley67

Answer by shirley67 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have no idea. MOrally, I would be very opposed to it, but I don't have a severly ADD child, so I just can't know what youre going through. Maybe research the long term effects, if any and speak with the dr. He is bound to confidentiality so he can't spill your secret ( I don't think). Well, only if you trust him. I would ask someone who could give you more info. I know you don't see it as a bad thing, but there might be someone who knows more about it and can help you. Dr Phil comes to mind...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2008