teething question

my baby is 6 months old and has been teething for some time.yesterday and today he has ran a fever and been super fussy.his head feels so warm and when put finger in his mouth it feels warm too,just wondering if this goes along with teething and if he is closer to getting the teeth to pop thru the gum.he should be cutting 4 teeth all at once,what i was told anyway.any tips or advice.been awhile since i have dealt with this as my oldest is 5 and 1/2yrs old

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• u can use some frozen fries or teething rings for the pain! and some babies sleep better elevated while teething, so u could put a small pillow under one side of his crib mattress! 4 teeth at once!! poor baby!! u could give some infant Tylenol for the pain if u want! give him lots of TLC!!! good luck hope they come in quick!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• He could have a little ear infection along with it too - my kids got that a lot. Don't know if that's a normal occurance, but about half the time mine were teething they had ear infections. Definitely give a dose of tylenol and lots of love!
    Anonymous

• The medical literature says no-- fever and other symptoms of illness are not a sign of teething, but my little guy always ran a fever of about 100.3 whenever his teeth broke through. He would get fussy, refuse to eat, and sleep poorly. He didnt' care for teething rings, but he did like cold--not frozen--bagels, and frozen, twisted washcloths. He didn't care for frozen teething rings as there was no give-- basically but once they thawed a bit, he did like them then.

I also gave him infant ibuprofen-- the tylenol did nothing for him-- and that seemed to help with the inflammation and pain. Mine is cutting his molars (all four) and his lower canines at the same time. His teeth come in batches-- 4 bottom, the 4 top, now the primary molars and canines.

Good luck to you and your baby!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:40 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• try a banana slightly frozen. also frozen peas work, or a semi frozen wash rag that you dampened before put in freezer. for the fever try a bath and some tylenol. you can also give him/her teething tablets or oro jel with the infinte tooth brush that goes on your finger and rub his gums with it. btw you can give tylenol and teathing tablets at the same time. also this is an old fashioned remedy but you can try a tiny bit of wiskey on your finger and rub it on his gums before he goes to bed it eliminates most of the swelling and numbs the area. but wont get him drunk and wont hurt him. btw check his temp cause you dont want it to get to high even if it is from teething if it gets too high it could fry his brain. i'll be on awhile so let me know if anything helps or if you need anymore help ok.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 11:43 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We used frozen grapes in a mesh feeder, but before 6 months, it's not wise to give solids in any form. Have you tried Camilia drops? They might help. I'm a big fan of exhausting other methods before going to Tylenol. Hang in there, mama!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Ive used orijel lots! Ughh tylonal if there is a feaver too!
    I hhave also froze a wet wash cloth that worked good for ds. They need lots of TLC when teething! My dd is suppppppeeerrr clingy! Good luck momma!
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 12:53 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We used a homeopathic med. Yep was skeptical but it worked.
    LOL just looked them up - Hylands teething tablets and they have been recalled because of the manufacturing process.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:19 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• This may sound funny but the only thing my kids liked when they were teething were the squishy bath toys you squirt water out of lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Teethers frozen in the freezer, tylenol at night (although vanilla or whiskey on the gums is what has helped my kids).

Be careful of oragel and other things that numb. They can sometimes numb the throat, making it hard to swallow. In our son's case, we'd give it to him (even after our ped warned against it) and he'd wake up choking since he could not swallow is own saliva.

Teething HURTS! It is bone breaking through skin. Use tylenol if your baby seems miserable.

(The fever can sometimes be caused, some think, by the temp in the mouth rising cause of swelling)

Homeopathic gel worked really well for our son.
    KirstenG

Answer by KirstenG at 8:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• he has been teething for awhile and now it is getting worse so i just wonder if the teeth are closer to breaking threw,they need to be.baby dont feel good and its hard handling a fussy baby sometime.He doesnt like orajel,or teethers.I have been giving him Tylenol and ibprophen (sp) and baths for his fever but its still going up and down.he is also coughing.
    alyssa1

Comment by alyssa1 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2011