Why are church going people more nosy than the general population?

I have this problem with this older woman at church she has helped me clean my house and take care of my kids, but then she backed off, because she kept saying single parent moms take advantage of people and I don't want to be taken advantage of. But yet she still calls me and visits me but then I heard today that she was talking crap behind my back saying my house was filthy and she had helped me so much. When your a single parent of a toddler things will get messy but i think my house looks clean now. Her actions just totally pissed me off.

donna1972

Asked by donna1972 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think every church has nosy members. There is one woman in our church who has two daughters my age and she loves to give me advice on how to make my marriage better, but she has been married twice and is currently divorced but she thinks she knows how to do everything.
    Lizzie_Beth

Answer by Lizzie_Beth at 12:56 PM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I think it might be more about her being a older woman. Often they feel that they know everything because they have gone through more. Maybe. If you do want to go the church route, it can be because they have an immediate network. A lot of people go to church for the association.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 10:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I don't think that is limited to church goers. Those kinds of people are everywhere. Unfortunately that includes churches - they're only human too :) I don't think it's entirely fair to box all church goers in with the ones like this lady :(
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• there are some people that just cant seem to get out of their ways, most of them were raised with critism... that is the way the old were raised ....i have elderly people in my family that are the same way...i just dont pay them any mind when they talk that way...life is to precious to worry about them.
    nanatoalot

Answer by nanatoalot at 12:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Im not sure why you think this is because she goes to church. I dont see the connection. I think it has more to do with her and her attitude. If you don need her help anymore then I wouldnt worry about it.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• First, I don't think it's right that you make the assumption that "church going people" are more nosy than the general population. I think it has to do with the nature of a person and nothing to do with whether or not they are "church going". I've never had problems with gossip within my church, or really any church I've ever attended.

Now, putting that aside, I honestly would confront her. First, how do you know what she was saying if it was said behind your back? Unless you heard it with your own ears, it's best to go to the source then believe what could in fact be...gossip! Go and have a sit down with her and explain everything to her. And if you really believe she in fact said those things behind your back, then tell her how much you appreciate everything she has done for you but that you think you're going to not need her anymore. Then find someone else who wants to help you or do it yourself :). Good luck mama!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• That's a bit unfair to stereotype the whole church-going population, isn't it? So you're having problems with one woman...talk to her and tell her you don't appreciate that she says those things. If she doesn't stop, stop letting her come to help you out.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Sweetie, just keep her in prayer. I don't know how old she is but some old people can be very fussy no matter what. I can't judge and say she is not saved cause I'm not the judge. But we all have faults she is just one that loves to complain. lol But just try to keep focus and asked the Lord to help you in this situation with her.
    jesspraise35

Answer by jesspraise35 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think u just ran in to some nosy people period. It has nothing to do with them going to church or not. There are nosy people in and out of the church.
    momagarry

Answer by momagarry at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think that it may have more to do with HER than with her being a church going person. You are going to find nosey people in and out of church. I think it's a bit unfair to put a label on people.
    ZacsMomm

Answer by ZacsMomm at 2:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2008