Public Assistance

So my husband just lost his job in November, and since then we have both been looking for a job (I was a stay at home mom). Right now he is waiting for unemployment, but it is taking so long to respond back to us. Well, we have our bills due now. We applied for HACAP which helps with electric and gas bills, but they still havent called us back. I talked to the utility companies, and they gave us enough time to wait for HACAP to respond back to us. So now all we have to worry about is our water bill, but i can't find anywhere to help us. WE get shut off Wednesday, so I called to ask the water company to help out, but they said that they cant do anything to help. So idk what to do now. From all of the Christmas money our family gave us we have enough for our rent and house payment (we are doing a rent to own for a trailer and we pay our lot rent). After we pay that we have only our Hy-Vee gift card and $50 for gas to help us get around for job hunting. So far no one is hiring or we're not what they are looking for. This is soooo frustrating. We have a 1 1/2 year old and I dont want him to go through what i went through as a kid. All of our family has helped with what they can for our rent, so now what do we do for our water? we use it for everything from cooking to dishes, laundry to showers.
We have medicaid and foodstamps so we dont need to worry about food.
Please if anyone can help that would be sooo great.
Oh yea I live in Iowa if that makes a difference.
I jsut dont know what to do anymore...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• Wow, I'm in Iowa too and DH got his unemployment approved the same day he applied for it. Have you tried the cash assistance through DHS, or emegency stuff through them? Or going to churches or food banks, even if you aren't associated with that or any church? What part of Iowa?
    Anonymous

• I live in IA too. If you PM me I could give you some info. about getting FIP and that type of thing. I only got it for like a month since I found a job when I moved back here but I might be able to help a little.
    DreaB83

Answer by DreaB83 at 11:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Well DH's old manager contested (not sure if that was it) so they have to have a conference call to see what really happened around him being fired. So I think that is why it is taking so long. I havn't tried the cash assistance through DHS. I could try that. Oh yea, I live in Amana, IA but I go to Coralville, IA all the time.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Contact St. Vincent de Paul look to the right column for some help.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My DH's boss contested it too, but they kept him on it while they did the "investigation". I think maybe because they knew my DH was right and his old boss was being a royal jerk (they had too many people from that place come through, thank God the "boss" has to retire this year!). Anyway. I know of a couple things in my area but I'm a few hours away from you so that won't help. Is there a Fareway near you? Have you applied there, so at least you ahve something? They usually pay good and it's not hard work (I worked off & on for them for 10 years). Or even Hy-Vee?
    Anonymous

• Unemployment should only take a couple of weeks. It seems like perhaps your spouse was fired for cause, and is ineligible.

How are you conducting your job search? Less than half of all open positions are advertised; you need to network with people in the field and industry you wish to work in. Have you had any informational interviews with people in your chosen field to learn how they found their current positions? How are you searching for advertised positions? Do you have a great resume and do you send it out with strong cover letters?
    I do career and job search coaching; please contact me if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My husband was fired because he wanted to get a glass of water since he was working a 8-12 hour shift. But the manager got mad cuz he wouldnt do what she wanted him to do right then.

So far I have been applying for jobs online. I don't have much experience and my employment history isn't too good. But after a year as a SAHM and with DH wanting to go to school in a week or two, I need to find a job. I have applied at over 50 jobs online using craigslist.org, careerbuilder.com, monster.com, etc. I made my own resume, but with little experience it is not too extravagant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If you really want to find a job, you'll network with EVERYONE you know. Call everyone on your phone list, email everyone in your Facebook, and talk to everyone you see about looking for work (at the grocery store, etc.). Most jobs are not found online. You will probably need to get out there and start looking. Imagine if everyone only looked online for jobs. They get hundreds of applications.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 5:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Iam sorry that you are having such a hard time. 7 years ago my husband was injured and after 18 years of being a SAHM I had to get a job to help out (he was injured on the job so he was able to work 8 hours a day in the office but he lost about $1000 a month in pay without OT). I didn't just sit at the house and put in apps online...I went to every grocery store, convenience store, Wal mart, KMart and every store in the mall and put applications in EVERYWHERE and called them back 2 days after I put in the application and then called back and called back. I had interviews at several different places all in the same week and was able to choose the job with the better wage. It may be time to get out of the house and to startapplying at places that you may not want to work at. You need a job, now is not the time to be picky.
    Anonymous

• You need to go to businesses. I know Walmart is hiring, many places at the malls are hiring, try call centers, fastfood places, Target, Starbucks is hiring and they will train. I know Talbots(retail place) is hiring, etc. Good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011