My daughter, nearly 2, loves the potty but will not GO on the potty. Starting full-fledge potty training after the new year. Any suggestions for a quick fix??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm a big fan of the 3 day method. It worked really well for my son. We did it at 25 months (it recommends doing it at 22). You can PM me your email address if you'd like the ebook.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Wait until she's physically and mentally capable, and then 'train' her. Anything done before she can feel the urge to go with the time delay necessary to get there and the verbal skills to communicate it to the people in charge of where she is in any given moment will be an endless source of frustration for you and dysfunction for her.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:18 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• When she can hold her pee all night then you can start. With both my girls we found that the Gerber cloth training pants worked best. Yes, this will make a mess, the mess is a huge motivator, add a bribe and you got it. Also Sesame Street makes a good video, just might help to get the concept down in a fun relaxed way. GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:43 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My first suggestion is to not go "full fledged" until she's showing an interest...sometimes forcing it on them, will deter them and set them back...there's nothing wrong with her being 2 and not going. If you make her do it when she doesn't want, it will become a negative experience. With my daughter, we always have it out, but she likes to go just before her bath. So I let her take off her own diaper and she feels like a big girl...if she doesn't go, big deal...if she does, she gets a high-five and a woo hoo!! :) Let her lead the way on that one.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I say don't quick fix ... it will happen when she is ready anytime before that and its pointless. If she can not feel the urge then the nerves around the bladder are not fully developed.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree. if she is not ready, it will be a nightmare.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I agree, if she is not ready, it will be a nightmare.

One comforting thought: average age for girls to be fully trained is 36 months (3 years) and for boys 39 months.

Wait til she shows signs of being able to know it is time to go and being able to tell you in some way. If she can't tell you she needs to go, trips out are gonna be rough.

Start with day time going.

Make sure she knows pee comes out of her, into the potty. My daughter loved the seat, the books, the sitting on the potty with mommy. She had NO idea pee came out and went in there. So one day we just sat there with her on it for a long time. I was very calm, we read books. When she finally peed she was very surprised and "got it" right there. It took about a week to be able to go out without accidents.

Try not to use pull ups.

For most kids, when they realize they want to stay clean, and are developmentally ready, they learn it very very
    KirstenG

Answer by KirstenG at 8:23 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Let her decide. Maybe she is not ready.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 1, 2011