Why do people think it is ok to call breastfeeding advocates nazis?

I jokingly call myself a 'nipple nazi' because so many women use that phrase to describe me anyways. Kinda like calling yourself a bitch. But why do people think it is ok to compare someone who is passionate about women feeding their baby how nature intended to people who tortured and murdered millions of people? Does noone see how offensive this is?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the "nazis" are the ones that are always telling people how bad they are for not breastfeeding even when they don't know the whole story behind why they are using formula instead.

I think Nazi has just gotten to be the word for anyone that is overbearing in their beliefs to the point of demeaning and bad mouthing people that do not agree.
    Anonymous

• It's not ok. Even the really mean ones (and some of them can be VERY mean) are nothing compared to the real nazis. but as a formula feeding mom, I get very sick and tired of women telling me that I'm poisoning my son, or that I'm less of a mother for the way I feed my child. Everyone knows that breast is best, but that doesn't make the rest of us substandard.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• A lot of us refer to ourselves as breastfeeding militants. I don't think nazi is an appropriate term either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• We're in the era of political correctness now, but it apparently only works one way. It's okay for some people to call us nazis but not okay for us to encourage people to do what's best for their babies. It doesn't matter *why* you can't breastfeed, b/c that doesn't change the fact that breastfeeding is the primary source of nutrition for babies, and that formula is sub-par. (That's why they have breast milk donation banks - formula isn't the only option.) Name-calling is just a defensive reaction. I stand by my efforts to get the best care for babies.
    emilyjj75

Answer by emilyjj75 at 10:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• There is a huge difference between a breastfeeding advocate and a breastfeeding nazi. The first knows that breast milk is best for a baby, that breastfeeding is hard work and frequently hurts, that not all women CAN and not all want to. The second don't care - if you don't breastfeed (for whatever reason) you are a terrible, horrible person and CPS should take your baby away. The first is nice to talk to and you can learn a lot. The second type you don't want anything to do with.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:59 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• And no, the term nazi isn't good to use. It is generally used for any group or person who is so forceful about their beliefs that they do more harm to their cause than they do good. Alienating people, pushing them away because they are so unpleasant to be around and listen to when they climb up on their soap box.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Why can't we agree to be respectful to one another?
    I breastfed 3 babies for a total of 28 months. I enjoyed it, and I'm glad it worked for me. But I would never put down a woman who didn't breastfeed.
    I never liked being criticized that I chose to feed my child discreetly in public if necessary, and would not put up with it. Neither would I criticize a woman for feeding her child a bottle.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• It is my personal opinion that we don't as a whole, think through our words. And again, some of us over think things that are said to them. I think that we as a group tend to take things personally that were not meant that way. I have never thought about the negativity of Nazism with breastfeeding. It has always been a kind of joke in my family. I never thought how it could offend others.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• KAYCEE14 said it perfectly.
    SusieD250

• I breastfeed and Bottle feed my son because he has reflux and the only way he can keep my breast milk down is if he has a 2-4 oz bottle of formula afterward... or a mix of both... so its every woman and family to there own... If u don't breastfeed then ok but if u do good.. its great for the baby but thats the point its every womans choise NO ONE ELSES and NO woman should be put down for her choise to nurse or not to.... and for the Nazi thing.... its really...... Uncalled for... everyone is open to their opinion...
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008