how can i get my 3 yr old on a normal sleep schedule like his 2 yr old brother?

I have tried EVERYTHING!!! I have googled and attempted every single way to get him to do it and nothing seems to work!
He fights it as hard as he can, and it's not that he won't go to sleep, when he does he sleeps fine, it is just getting him to do it every night around the same time without having a major meltdown that is the problem! He used to be on a very strict schedule and it just seems like since I got divorced it has gone down the drain! Does anyone else think that the stress from all the transitioning to being with only me could have something to do with it?

COWGIRLinPEARLs

Asked by COWGIRLinPEARLs at 12:35 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think it can be stress, when i had my 1st kid i was stressed and scared and my baby wouldnt sleep. my mom told me even though i try to act normal the kid can still sense something isnt right and they wont act right. but even now my kids are 2yrs old and 1 yrs old and they still arent on a sleep schedule. we do everything possible to get them on a schedule, and 1 change in plans mess up everything.
    LaMamiDeJase

Answer by LaMamiDeJase at 1:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Everything?

You've tried sending him to military boarding school? And chaining him up in the basement?

Yeah, I didn't think so. First of all, I have to caution you against using words like 'everything' 'never' and 'always' in parenting.... they pollute your thinking and create frustration where none would otherwise exist. Our thoughts drive our feelings, particularly anger and annoyance.

Stress is absolutely related to sleep. Sleep is a condition that requires a strong sense of security and anything that shakes that will interfere. It is also worth mentioning that children get 'younger' as they get more tired --less able to cope, think, express themselves or soothe themselves, compared with when they're rested, well-fed and feeling calm and capable. So, perhaps thinking of him as a younger (much, much younger) child for a while might make your life easier.

Has there been a time in your life when strictness worked?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Look girl i have the same problem when you figure out what helps for god sakes send me a messege because im going threw the same thing .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 1:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sleep is one of those things that with children you don't blame yourself. It is easy for some and not so easy for others. Hang in there the one thing for sure it will change.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 10:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011