Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Child support

Do you think that it is ok if a man paying child support tries to have it reduced in court because he has since gotten married and/or had more children? My opinion is HECK NO, if you can't afford to get married or to have more children while paying your child support then don't get married or have more children. Why should the mother pick up the extra slack because the dad has bitten off more then he can chew, even more so, why should the child get less?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • not only will he not be able to reduce for that reason...the mother recieving child support can actually go after the "new wifes" salary as most states. In my state, it's that way and I have personally known people to quit their job or get divorced b/c of it. I personally would quit before my husbands ex gets a penny of mine, but that doesn't mean we don't send what we are supposed to every month.

    The only way he will pay less, is if he can prove he took a pay cut or lost his job. period.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 1:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • It's not about if he can afford it or not. I don't think his life should have to stop because he has a child with someone else. Just as my support would probably lessen if I got married, I would expect his to as well. Because the family situation has changed.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 1:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • Your opinion is Heck no my opinion is Fuck no you can have a a starter wife but not starter kids asshat

    Answer by chica1965 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • I know someone that was sent back to court because the dad tried to lower the amount since he had a newborn...and the judge said hell no and even increased it LOL

    Answer by youngmm at 1:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • I don't think his life should have to stop either but I don't think the child should get less either. It really depends on how much he's paying. Maybe it's too much too little or right on. I'm a single mom and I think it sucks to even have to go thru child support. Seriously...shouldn't he WANT to take care of his child instead of the state making him. I'm not saying that I'm lucky enough to have an ex like that but I just think that they should want to take care of their kids.

    Answer by DreaB83 at 1:10 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • I haven't "gone after" my ex at all for anything. His other kids barely get enough to eat. I know he just drinks their money away, but I still don't have it in me to actually go. He's supposed to give me a hundred bucks a month, but I'm lucky if he "throws me a couple of bucks" as he puts it.

    Answer by lovinangels at 1:07 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • It DOES matter when there is barely work for him, let alone his wife (who USED to have work before moving for his job). If the original amount of support per month is ridiculous (like over $900/month) and the wages in their current city are lower than the city/county the support was created, then the payments should be lowered.

    A friend of mine is in a situation like that. Her husband pays over $900/month for child support. They take $385 out of his paycheck every two weeks (extremely close to 50% of this check). That's less than $800/month for bills which include car insurance, rent/mortgage, electric bill, groceries, water, sewage, telephone. Every bill that everyone else has. When you add those monthly bills together, they are more than what he's getting every month. Before he got work (the unemployment rate where they used to be was high), they were sending what money they could from her check.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 1:25 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • I know how you feel my hubby's ex just had a new baby and the kids tell us that she spends alll the money thats ment for them on the baby she tryed to say we lied and did not send her money till we showed the paper work to the kids and what the card looks like that they put the money on. Now we have been out of work for almost a year and she is wonting more support for the kids but does not spend the money on them

    Answer by stacyana at 1:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • well i hope you make sure that in court since his life respounsibility changed you make sure your child is added to his health plan because if you have him under your health plan then he has to pay you extra my best advice is to take to court all of your expenses rent utilities and reciepts of everything you provide for your kid clothing copays ext if he makes less than you he can have the amount reduced .And yeah they can go after the present wife for child support because the wife by marring him has to acknowledge his child it sucks but i understand both sides i take my ex for support and my present boyfriend pays child support and he is more supportive by saying if i pay support for 2 kids and still manage by making sure i have a job and keep my finances under my limit every other guy should some people just need to think with thier head and not their Penis once in a while before doing things

    Answer by hush84 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

  • you can't decrease child support just b/c you have a new's based on a percentage of the GROSS salary not take it seems like a lot more. We pay $500 month and the mother drinks and gambles it away....lives with whoever she can and doesn't have anything stable. We have a 2 year old daughter of our own and have lost our home...we still have to pay it.

    Answer by calliesmommie at 1:59 AM on Jan. 1, 2011