My 9M Old is under weight, what is the best way to get some weight on him, The Dr said try anything? But he has Acid Reflux.

supermomof924

Asked by supermomof924 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Kids' Health

• How much does he weight? try to give him real food like things you eat my daughter is 10m and is also under weight and she was eating table food by then she loves it
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 10:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Protein. Hamburgers Heck, any fast food crap, then, hopefully you could get him off of it and onto more healthy choices so he doesnt go the other way. My daughter had (has) acid reflux too, but she maintains a healthy weight for her age and height

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Lots of carbs are good. My son who is 13 months was a preemie. 28 weeker he is in the 10th -15th percentile for his weight and he is the size of a 9-10 month old. My doc suggested supplementing formula once to twice a day. Enfamil has one called Next steps...It is a good supplement or just use it all the time if you don't breastfeed. {I love Enfamil} Anyways my son loves spaghetti and would eat it every meal if I made it. Plus at that age it is cute to see them slurp up noodles. You also might want to try fettucine alfredo. Put chicken with it and it is a high carb and nutriciousa meal. I have a recipe quick and easy if you want it. Everyone loves this recipe I make. Anyways try doing a carb diet with fruits and veggies,,,
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 1:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• 9 months old?? Is he breast fed or formula fed??

My 3 month old dd has reflux and is breast fed for the most part. However, she was a preemie by 6 weeks so she has to have some formula as well. She is on Similac Neosure for weight gain because it has more calories than normal formula and then she gets 1 tsp of rice cereal per 2 oz of formula. I usually do 1 1/2 tsp of cereal for a 4 oz bottle. According to my pediatrician the cereal will help keep the formula down with the reflux. She hasn't had but one big spit since being put on the cereal at 11 weeks which was 3 weeks ago.
    There are also meds that your son can be put on for reflux. Karli was on Reglan when she was in the NICU, but was taken off before coming home.
    HTH
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My son who is now 3 was under wieght after his bout with West Nile Virus, and he had major Acid Reflux! I had tharipist coming out to help, then his Dr. put him on Zantac 15 mg/ml syrup GSK. His nutritionist brought me a drink called Kinder Cal, and now he is so chunky its hard to believe he was ever under wieght! Talk to your Pedi. about Zantac, and Kinder Cal, if you have Medicade or WIC its free and will be delivered to your front door! There is also a group called ECI ( Early Childhood Intervintion ) that works with babies in all areas until they are three! Ask your Dr. for their # You don't want to introduce reg, food to him, before he is ready!
    Mica30

Answer by Mica30 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Both my kids are "underweight". My whole family is small so my ped isn't concerned, neither am I. But I give my youngest carnation instant breakfast for his chocolate milk. Ped said it's just like pediasure but cheaper. He is 2. For a 9 month old though, they aren't suppose to be on cows milk. So maybe try some pediasure. They have store brands that are much cheaper and my ds loved them. But ask your ped first. Not sure if one so young should have them. They may not be able to drink it until they are 12 months if they are still on breastmilk or formula.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Ok both of my kids had acid reflux. they were put in the hospital for it, my oldest was small for her age. healthy but small. they kept her on enfamil ar until she was 1 1/2. I also added extra ceral into her milk, and she ate those little gerber foods.
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 8:15 AM on Nov. 13, 2008

• He is on formula, simalac AR and it has helped with the reflux, but here is an update on him. We went to the Dr yestorday and in 1 1/2 weeks he has gained 1 lb, but he is having surgery Monday(tubes) and they think after that he should gain some weight. So keep us in your Prayers, and I will give another update after surgery Thanks
    supermomof924

Answer by supermomof924 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2008