How do you feel about solitary confinement?

Specifically, confining those with non-violent offenses such as parole violation, car theft (NOT hijacking), using drugs, etc. where the minimum time to serve is 18 months solitary but often adds up to years more.

banana-bear

Asked by banana-bear at 1:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see it as a general rule but if it is necessary then I'm all for it. There are times when its best to keep a prisoner seperate from others
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Those that get put in jail can't really cry the victim.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• When someone is breaking the rules, how else are they supposed to be punished? They are already in jail so the only other thing that can happen is them being put in a room by themselves. It baffles me how you are saying that it's ok to sell drugs in jail. Or to not listen to guards.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Solitary confinement can also be used for those who need protection inside prison.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Usually there are additional reasons why someone is in solitary confinement so it would be a case by case judgement as to weather or not it's fair.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• in extreme cases for short periods of time, to me its akin to "time out".

I have an autistic son who get fits of violence and basically he has to go to another room by himself until he can control himself and be civil. Its a similar concept.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:21 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Unfortunately, people who haven't learned to live lawfully in society, also don't realize they have to follow the rules when they are in jail, and extreme measure have to be taken, for their own safety and the safety of the guards and other prisoners. You've given several reasonable reasons why the person that you're mentioning would need to be isolated from the general population. Sometimes they learn from it, sometimes they don't, and go back again. It sounds like you have a personal interest in this situation. Is it possible that someone in jail would be telling you something less than the whole truth to get your sympathy? Be very careful what you believe.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:43 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I guess I don't really get the question. In my limited knowledge you are only given solitary if you are proven a danger to the population or as punishment for breaking the jail/prison rules (ie: extreme time out)

Are you asking about a non-violent offender being sentenced to solitary from start to finish of their incarceration? That would seem extreme to me...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If they are breaking the rules one can argue they are being violent.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sorry, but I really don't give a moments thought to criminals, and/or what happens to them, once they are behind bars.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2011