Who's right?

Alan Simpson;

Wyoming Republican Alan Simpson has a pretty low opinion of the people that have paid into Social Security all their lives and now need something back.

The co-chair of President Barack Obama's bipartisan deficit commission lashed out at seniors Wednesday because they are unhappy with his ideas for reducing the deficit by cutting Social Security benefits while reducing corporate taxes.

"I've never had any nastier mail or [been in a] more difficult position in my life," Simpson told Jeremy Pelzer at the Casper Star-Tribune. "Just vicious. People I've known, relatives [saying], 'You son of a bitch. How could you do this?'"

The draft report released by Simpson along with co-Chair Erskine Bowles proposed raising the retirement age to 69 by 2070. Additionally, 90 percent of Social Security income would be taxable, as opposed to 82.5 percent as is currently projected.

Critics of the proposal have dubbed the group the "catfood commission" because seniors who see their benefits cut would have to reduce their expenses or find additional sources of income.

"We had the greatest generation," Simpson said. "I think this is the greediest generation."

OR the Man from Montana??

Hey Alan,

Let’s get a few things straight…

1. As a career politician, you have been on the public dole for FIFTY YEARS…

2. I have been paying Social Security taxes for 48 YEARS (since I was 15 years old. I am now 63)…

3. My Social Security payments, and those of millions of other Americans, were safely tucked away in an interest bearing account for decades until you political pukes decided to raid the account and give OUR money to a bunch of zero ambition losers in return for votes, thus bankrupting the system and turning Social Security into a Ponzi scheme that would have made Bernie Madoff proud…

4. Recently, just like Lucy & Charlie Brown, you and your ilk pulled the proverbial football away from millions of American seniors nearing retirement and moved the goalposts for full retirement from age 65 to age 67. NOW, you and your shill commission is proposing to move the goalposts YET AGAIN…

5. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying into Medicare from Day One, and now you morons propose to change the rules of the game. Why? Because you idiots mismanaged other parts of the economy to such an extent that you need to steal money from Medicare to pay the bills…

6. I, and millions of other Americans, have been paying income taxes our entire lives, and now you propose to increase our taxes yet again. Why? Because you incompetent bastards spent our money so profligately that you just kept on spending even after you ran out of money. Now, you come to the American taxpayers and say you need more to pay of YOUR debt…

To add insult to injury, you label us “greedy” for calling “bullshit” on your incompetence. Well, Captain Bullshit, I have a few questions for YOU…

1. How much money have you earned from the American taxpayers during your pathetic 50-year political career?

2. At what age did you retire from your pathetic political career, and how much are you receiving in annual retirement benefits from the American taxpayers?

3. How much do you pay for YOUR government provided health insurance?

4. What cuts in YOUR retirement and healthcare benefits are you proposing in your disgusting deficit reduction proposal, or, as usual, have you exempted yourself and your political cronies?

It is you, Captain Bullshit, and your political co-conspirators who are “greedy”. It is you and they who have bankrupted America and stolen the American dream from millions of loyal, patriotic taxpayers. And for what? Votes. That’s right, sir. You and yours have bankrupted America for the sole purpose of advancing your pathetic political careers. You know it, we know it, and you know that we know it.

And you can take that to the bank, you miserable son of a bitch.

I vote the Man from Montana!

goodwitch399

Asked by goodwitch399 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally agree with the man from Montana. The fact that our government is operating our social security system as a big ponzi scheme is not the fault of people collecting social security. The amount of money congress people receive in pension money is obscene. They should have a 401k like everyone else.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The Man from Montana for President in 2012!! LOL :o)

Seriously though, I thought Democrat politicians, of all people, KNEW that you don't threaten to take a perk away from a senior citizen?! I mean, Bush was nearly crucified for wanting to privatize social security in 2005 (not such a bad idea now in hindsight, eh libs?!), and that would have ONLY affected those UNDER 50 (despite what the AARP and Dems wanted everyone to believe)!!

Good luck there, Mr. Simpson. :oP
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The man from Montana ......
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The man from Montana all the way !!!!!!
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 3:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The man from Montana is my man for sure! Great post. I also am 63, but not yet collecting Social Security, but I'd trade mine anyday with a Congressional and House of Representatives package!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:34 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• In a way, they are both correct. Mostly the the man from Montana though because he has a valid point that the government has not been truthful in handling our money but at the same time, we do not pay enough into the system to make up for what we receive and as time has gone on what people get from SS has put a burden on government. That being said, the government is the cause that these issues even come up.
    As for raising the age of retirement? I'm all for it. The suggestion of 1 year by 2025 and another by 2050 will not occur in many of those complainers lives. They will die before it even happens. The couple of suggestions I have heard do not even apply to those over 50. We have to face the facts that we need to save more ourselves for retirement. You cannot expect the government to do it for us. Me? I'd prefer to have complete control over my own retirement anyway.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Well, being from Montana I have to totally agree with the guy from MT. I think I know a few of those 'guys'. LOL.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Mr. Montana
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• itsme, nailed it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:04 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The man from Montana nailed it.

If social security had been optional rather than mandatory my answer would be different, but SS was taken from every paycheck and no one had a choice. Since the gubmint took it people have every right to expect it back
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011