How do you play the tooth fairy?

Ahh my son lost another tooth! It's so stressful! lol. When I try to sneak in to exchange the tooth, he always wakes up. I ended up setting my alarm for 2 in the morning last time to make sure he was deeply asleep. This time I wanted to make a little pillow with a pocket to hang from the doorknob or a little box to set outside the door but I haven't gotten to the store and he lost it already. So I had him sit it outside his door in a plastic baggy, lol. I didn't really have a good excuse either lol. I'm totally gonna blow this lie! No one tells you how many characters you will play as a parent! So how do you do the tooth fairy deal?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wait until they are at school and sprinke some glitter from the window to the pillow and put the money under the pillow with the tooth. If the tooth fairy forgets, we put it on the kitchen table and by dinner time the tooth is gone.
    Melissabear3

Answer by Melissabear3 at 10:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I let them go put the tooth under the pillow and when i go into tuck them in i give them a big hug and at the same time i switch the tooth with the money.
    mundellb1

Answer by mundellb1 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well, I don't have this problem yet...my girl is 1 year and only has three teeth! LOL. But my mom used to come in and "check on me" before she would go to bed every night. This included giving me a kiss ... and when I lost a tooth, she would reach under and grab the tooth as she was giving me a hug. She couldn't do it while tucking me in, because I always liked to sleep with my hand under the pillow on the tooth, because I was determined to meet the tooth fairy! But coming in before she went to bed worked. She even managed to leave me a pair of foam tooth fairy slippers under my pillow one year without me waking up! LOL.
    BriMom2007

Answer by BriMom2007 at 2:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• luckily DD is a heavy sleeper so she has not woken up (at least not YET!) You should see me though...it's like that stealthy sleuth music in the background as I lightly tiptoe into the room, a little crouched and looking back and forth...dollar in my hand on the way in...baby tooth on the way out. Haha
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 4:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I just act very nonchalant about it like the tooth fairy and I are great friends I even have her cell phone number so if I forget or don't have change I say she was sick or it is raining where she lives it works like a charm she never put it under her pillow i got her a tiny box at walmart we painted it and put it on her bookshelf and tooth fairy fills it before school in the morning I decided all you can buy with a dollar is garbage & candy so I decided to leave her $5 and $30 later LOL I can't complain too bad no cavities & she saved it all Good Luck remember have fun and be creative there are no rules it will be great memories to share with your kids when they are too old for the tooth fairy and when they become the tooth fairy themselves BTW when they ask each child gets their own fairy thats why different fairies have different rules and leave different things some even leave books or toys )
    theschwenkfam

Answer by theschwenkfam at 5:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• lol I completely forgot about his tooth last night! Fortunately he hasnt woke up yet so I made the switch just now. Man it's so much easier playing Santa and Easter Bunny!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My daughter once lost her tooth playing in the yard. She was in tears - afraid the fairy wouldn't know if it wasn't under her pillow. I pretended to call 1-800-tooth fairy to explain the situation. There was just a dial tone, but she didn't know. When I hung up I told her that the tooth fairy understood and would be able to find the tooth in the yard, and that they said thanks for letting them know where it was. She completely bought it. I put a dollar under her pillow while she was outside. She was amazed at the speedy service....1-800- Santa and 1-800- Easter bunny soon followed, and were just as useful.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• We never did the tooth fairy thing. Each child gets a special present when they lose their first tooth to commemorate that they are crossing over from being a little kid to being a big kid, but they know it comes from us not the tooth fairy thing.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my kids were always sound sleepers, never really had to think about it. but these posts are great! ilove the glitter stuff! i just slid the tooth out and put the money under the pillow, they never once woke up.
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 10:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Well I didn't want to deal with the under the pillow thing so I have my daughter leave the tooth in a little box on the bathroom counter. I told her that her room is way to messy for the tooth fairy to even attempt the pillow. She agreed that yes her room is messy and she doesn't want the tooth fairy to hurt herself.
    However we did have a little problem when she lost a tooth at my parents house and got more $$ over there than she did at home. But we resolved it saying that there's more than one tooth fairy and each tooth fairy has her own standards. Worked like a charm and now she wants to save teeth for when she's at my parents house.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2008