Is it right for a husband to forbid his wife to work?

My friends husband works making decent money but he strictly controls the finances and she has to account for every PENNEY she spends. She has an associates degree is Business Management, they have no kids or pets. She wants to work and make her own money so she can buy things without getting in trouble but her husband will not allow her to work. "The womans place is in the home."
Agree or Disagree

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• BULLSHIT!!!! he's a controlling asshole and she needs to get the hell out before there are kids in the situation.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Disagree, major red flag. :(
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 2:04 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• disagree
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 2:07 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• He sounds like a controlling manipulative asshole who's just one step away from physical abuse. Trust me, it's going to happen.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:10 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Disagree!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sounds like he's one of those assholes who are cool and dandy before marriage, but after marriage the woman needs to be at home, cleaning, cooking etc. She needs to leave or get a marriage counselor asap.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Disagree and men who do this are typically control freaks or feel inferior esp if the wife brings home more money then he does. It is not legal for a husband to stop his wife from working. Just hope it doesn't get abusive. Its very common for abusive partners to control like this before physical abuse starts.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 2:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Disagree....The day my husband tells me that I am forbiden to work is the day that i got live with my family.....I hate having to stay home...I would have a job if i could make enough for it to make a difference and so that all of it does not have to go to childcare. The only job DH told me he didnt want me to have was if I wanted to be a stripper....and I dont blame him for that one either lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If their Marriage works like this and the Husband and Wife BOTH agree, then that's fine but it seems to me that in the relationship you are talking about this is not the case. I'd pray that marriage ends quickly.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Marriage should be an equal partnership, not a dictatorship. What you describe is ABUSE. Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2011