Do u give ur 11 month old 7up??

My 11 month old son goes wild over a SIP of 7up. He only takes. Sip not the whole can, is this safe to give him?

NO im NOT giving him sodas of all kinds, just a sip of my 7up sometimes. I think he likes the carbonation. Since today was new years eve we had non alcoholic apple cider and he LOVED it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't. There's a lot of sugar and if you are already giving 7up @ 11 months, even just a sip, he will want more and more and more as he gets older. To me, it's just not a good habit, especially if he has teeth. I do know of some good alternatives. Sparkling water mixed with pure juice is a good one, no added sugars, a bit of carbonation, and depending on the juice you buy, could be healthy.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It is perfectly safe. In fact when my son was about 10-11 months he had stomach upset and his ped. ( who is a totally amazing ped with over 25 years experience ) said it was fine to give him a little 7-up as long as I didn't give him other sodas and as long as I carefully monitered his sugar intake. It's perfectly fine :)
    ProudMom093083

Answer by ProudMom093083 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If it isn't hurting him, then do whatever. However, it isn't something I would have done when my Son was that age. Shoot, He HATES soda and He is 3 1/2. lol.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:18 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• HELL NO! I didn't let my daughter have soda until she was almost 4 years old and even then it's MAYBE once a month! I should have put this in the "what annoys you" question. Parents shouldn't give their babies/young children soda.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I don't think there's anything wrong with giving kids sips/tastes of anything. Life is an experimentation and 7up isn't going to kill him. But our pediatrician said the clear sodas are the worst for kids. They have so much sugar in them and rot the teeth faster than anything. We don't give our kids clear soda at all and started them on sips of root beer when they were little.
    ...okay that's not entirely true because I'm sure my 4yo cut her teeth (figuratively) on Mt. Dew against my wishes (that's hubby's choice of drink and I refuse to let the kids drink it even when all other sodas are allowed). Funny thing is I don't get why people give their kids juice all the time. In my book it's exactly the same as soda. In our house they are both treats that the kids get once in awhile like candy and other junk food.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:44 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My kids didn't have any soft drink of any kind until they were in kindergarten. I just didn't see a reason to give them a taste for something that sweet. They have all their lives to drink it, when they are older.

Answer by missanc at 8:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't even think of it ! If you encourage him that young to enjoy something unhealthy he'll want it more and more as he gets older....I realize it's not harmful in the amount you're giving it to him right now, but down the road...2 examples for you....one friend did that with all 5 of her children...3 are obese and can't go without pop in their hand for more than a couple hours....it's crazy...her youngest is not obese, but at 12 years old he ended up having surgery because his stomach was rotted out from all the sugar....with my own children, i decided i wasn't going to let them have pop until 5 years old.....my kids are now 11, 9 and 7....they have tried pop, but none of them will drink it...even if offered at a party..... i know these are two extremes.....but pop is something i just didn't see necessary to give in to whatsoever. (I never gave juice either, except at parties and not until after 5)
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I dont give my kids any of that. My older son is 6.5 and hes never had soda. just a personal preferance! I dont really see anything wrong with a treat once in a while though....
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 8:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My daughter is 3 and she does not drink soda. I have only bought soda TWICE at my house.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We dont drink soda and my kids have never had it but its your choice on how you raise your kids.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2011