7 mo. and rolling over in sleep!!!!

My 7 month old baby has slept on her back during the night now that she has learned to roll form front to back and back to front...she now prefers to TRY to sleep on her side. But ends up on her face practically and wakes up crying. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to put a small rolled blanket on the sides of my son, nothing that he can roll his face over on, always have it low, wear the torso or back is, and that way if he rolled he would still be at a slant.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Do you have anything that can help keep her on side safely, prop he rup with something like a small pillow maybe.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 4:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• A rolled blanket isn't recommended, especially with a child that old. At this point if the child is rolling over completely independently the best thing to do is always remember to put the child to sleep on his back, and then of course monitor as necessary. Do remember to keep ALL objects out of the crib, including blankets and stuffed animals.

Boys under 6 months of old usually pass away more in October than any other month and sex combined.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Once they are rolling there is nothing you can do to stop them. Putting things in their bed just poses more risks. But I think your real problem is she's crying because she's not used to be on her tummy. It's a stage and they get over it but they have to get used to it. All 5 of my kids preferred sleeping on their stomachs once they learned to roll and I never stopped them.
    There was a 1 or 2 week adjustment period where they would SCREAM every time they rolled onto their tummies because they couldn't figure out how to get back over and that was exhausting.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• She will figure out not to end up in a position she does not want to be in.

At this age, you probably shouldn't put anything in there to keep her in one place. While she has control over her body to move around, she probably does not have control enough to move stuff out of her way to sleep safely.

When she cries, you could go in and gently move her/make sure she is safe.

At seven months she is just going to get more and more active.
    KirstenG

Answer by KirstenG at 8:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• You can either use a positioner, or you can roll her back over and let her fall back to sleep.
    You can also just let her figure it out and let her roll herself back over.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I tried using a positioner with my son; it didn't work that well. He was all over the place. She safe because she's able to hold her head up. GL
    LogansMamma0511

Answer by LogansMamma0511 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Once your baby starts rolling on their own it's ok for them to sleep however they want, just make their bed safe. No pillows or blankets, soft toys, et.c. It won't take long for your LO to become a pro at rolling back `in
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I personally wouldn't prop her up w/ a pillow or blanket because if she DOES roll she could suffocate in it. I would use a sleep positioner, they have ones that have airflow so if she does put her face in it she can still breathe :) good luck!
    Tiffywall86

Answer by Tiffywall86 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sleep positioners are not recommended by the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics). National SIDS Alliance also does not support them.

The American Pediatric Association (AAP) cautions against the use of the various sleep positioners currently available on the market. The AAP maintains they have not undergone adequate testing to prove their either safety or effectiveness.

Sleep positioners are promoted as being able to lower the risk of SIDS because they encourage infants to sleep on their back or sides. However the National SIDS Alliance says sleep positioners have been known to suffocate babies from the wedge that keeps the infant in place.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises parents and caregivers to keep cribs free of all pillow-like soft products. Consumer Reports warns against placing anything cushioned in a crib that could restrict a baby's air passages that may lead to suffocation.

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 4:37 PM on Jan. 1, 2011