How old were you you when you first heard the term "gay" or "lesbian" or "homosexual"?

Please say how old you were and how old you are today (to help see how the times have changed.)

I'm 31, and I first heard about it when I was 11 in 6th grade. Another student accused my art teacher of being a lesbian, didn't know what the word meant though. Then I heard it again the next year in 3 Men and a Baby but didn't really know what it meant - also later than year the whole gays in the miliary controversy came up so I learned all about it then.............

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I honestly don't remember, I had a great-uncle that was gay, and my dad (being the mean man that he is) always called him "aunt" John. I didn't really understand what he meant. I remember being 14 maybe and my step-mom was baby-sitting for this couple and they were lesbians, but I don't remember when I "learned" what it was. Very interesting question, oh and I'm 26 now.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:33 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• wow probably when I was 6 because when I heard about Ryan White, I had known for awhile about HIV and how you got it, I was confused as to how a kid like me could be gay and I asked my mom if someone molested him and she explained HIV in better detail to me. I am 31 now
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 10:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I also knew about Ryan White (I grew up around the same area he did), but I had no clue about being gay, and I never put the two together.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:46 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Hmmm when I actually truly knew the meaning I was probably in 8th grade, but heard the F*G*T word in 4th grade..did not know what it meant. I am now 25.

MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Ryan White didn't get HIV because he was "gay". He got it from a blood transfusion for his disease. Please don't assume a person having HIV means he or she is automatically gay.
    trekcass

Answer by trekcass at 10:56 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I do not think that is what she meant. At that time people "believed" that it was a gay disease, so I'm sure in her young mind that is what she thought. Also in her post she said that her mom then explained in detail what HIV was. So I am sure her mother told her the truth and didn't lie to her. Just because she didn't go into detail in her post doesn't give you the right to bash her!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I'm 22 now and I remember when I was 8 and in the 3rd grade ('95?) someone asked me and my best friend if we were lesbian because we hung out all the time lol. Although I didn't know exactly what that meant at the time I must have heard it somewhere before because I knew it had to do with 2 girls liking each other. I don't remember the first time hearing about "gay" or "homosexual" though.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• i'm 40, and can't remember how old i was, but as girls, my older sis and i loved listening to barry manilow..oh how we wanted to be his girlfriend. anyhoo, i remember my mother saying something like ,'oh girls, he's probably gay.'..but i didn't have the foggiest notion of what that meant. i remember watching (oh this will really date me) flip wilson dressed as a 'lady', and old clips of milton berle in drag..but just thought it was funny, because they were obviously men. i'm not saying they were gay--just that was the first time i remember seeing men in drag, even if it was for laughs. i honestly can't remember how old i was when i realized what 'gay' meant..probably much older than kids today.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Gosh I don't think I KNEW what gay and lesbians really felt or did until I was like 18. In hindsight I would remember friends I had that acted a little different but I never really knew why. I am 39 now and years ago one of my best friends was a lesbian and I still have gay and lesbian ppl that come to our parties and important events. I love all ppl so it doesn't really bother me. My 10 yr old son knows the concept of how men and women prefer to be with their same sex. He does not however know any sexual details nor do I think it has even occurred to him.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2008