How do you work with a long distance family?

My dad's family live about 18 hours from me. When we are able to go down to visit, only a few will take the time to see us. None of them will come up to visit us, no matter how many times I invite them up. When my granddaddy was in the hospital, my granny made sure that someone called me. When he passed, she made sure that someone called me. My granny is now in a nursing home due to her health. They have her in a very good place that the staff take good care of her. I only found out about the injury and the nursing home when I called to talk to my aunt and granny, which happened about 3 weeks prior. No one had bothered to call me then. My concern is now, who will tell someone to call me if anything else happens, or even if she passes? Granny is 97 and has lived a full life. She is basically in ok health but does have some health issues that could lead into other problems. I cannot make it down there as often as we would like. It has been several years since I have been to visit. I so miss them all, yet how can I get them to make sure that I am still in the loop? My own dad has passed away and that leaves my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Yet no one ever calls.

guyandtoni01

Asked by guyandtoni01 at 6:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Sounds like you need to call them often, just to find out what's going on. Have you tried e-mail or facebook to keep in touch? Maybe some of the cousins would be better to try and call them often.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I live 3000 miles from where I am from and no one really tells me much either. My grandma died in 2002 and since then I have become more and more independent in regards to being part of that side of my family. You will likely need to call and check in on people that you are concerned about on your own. Maybe start a weekly email note with someone there. I email with my aunt, and she will tell me things I might like to know about. I also have my cousins on facebook so we all keep in touch that way too.

Answer by gemgem at 9:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My family of 14 is almost 2 thousand miles away. I call everyday and they pass the phone around. I also SKYPE with them when they go to my MILs home(less than a mile away)
    m.riley

Answer by m.riley at 11:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2011