Has anyone found a hair dye that will color grays longer than 2 weeks?

I will color my hair and within 2 weeks my gray/white hairs are shining as bright as ever. I have tried almost every hair color on the shelf. I have even gone to the salon, paid too much, and got the same results. I am not ashamed of my gray/white hair. I would, however; like to go to some functions without them. Any suggestions?

guyandtoni01

Asked by guyandtoni01 at 7:03 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• i use garnier hairdye and it lasts about a month. i have to dye it once a month or month and a halfish. i wish it would last longer than that too, on the box it says to do it every 3 months but yea right lol.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:54 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I never had much luck trying to do it myself. I go to a salon and she uses Redken products, but she mixes the formula. She said my silver is very hard to cover, but the Redken works. Now it's great. It last's four or five weeks. My hair grows fast, so it's just starting to show at the roots then, but I never have any bleed through strands of silver showing. Dall around and find a salon that uses Redken, and tell them you want their best color person because you have gray that's hard to cover.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:13 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I've found that Feria lasts pretty good.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• some gray is more resistent to haircolor. hence, this is where a professional with experience and a good reputation in such will be your ticket. most DIYers in your shoes will usually just color their hair darker, which doesn't always look good. and you don't have to do this! a colorist should know how to get around the stubborn grays..there are several tricks (which all involve formulations/extra steps, possibly) to get the job done.
    that said, certainly, different brands will net different results. some better than others. sometimes the problem is user-error. sometimes its just stubborn grays.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:24 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Make sure that it is permanent color

Answer by rkoloms at 12:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• what kind of dye are you using... my mother uses clairol i think thats how its spelled. anyway she doesnt buy the permanent color she goes for the 6 week one and it lasts in her hair a month or longer for some reason the dye doesnt wash out as fast but it works for her and if you want to hide the gray longer you may also try not getting a darker shade but a lighter one that way when the grey appears it looks more natural on you then say having naturally blonde hair and dying it brown...
    rachelb76

Answer by rachelb76 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I like Loreal products they wont dry your hair out and at the same time they condition your hair, grey hair is very hard to cover because it doesnt penetrate the dye like the other hair does. Try a product for grey but you will probably have to redo in a few weeks.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I use gariner nurtisse and it's last 6 to 8 weeks and it covers all the grays and doesn't show any after i'm done dying it. I have to use about 2 boxes becasue my hair so thick.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Have you tried a henna rinse? My mom (60) uses that and it colors her grays so they blend in and look like highlights. Not sure you can use it on previously dyed hair though.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 2, 2011