what age can a child decide to who they what to live with

Daisy1331

Asked by Daisy1331 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do you mean like moher or father? In GA I think its 14 or 15.
    Anonymous

• Mother Sorry
    Anonymous

• It depends on the state, as well as the judge. The judge can always say that the kids opinion doesn't count. Like say the kid wants to live with dad, but only because he lets her smoke and party all the time. If the mom could prove this, then the judge could still send the kid to her mom.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Well, I thought it was 12 in TX, but we just found out last week that the courts are appointing my stepson an attorney to ask him who he wants to live with. He's 9. It's total bs.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 11:16 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I too believe the age depends on the state. I think in VA. it is 14 but I am not positive. Yu should contact a lawyer for a free consultation. Best way to know.angel mini

flutterby.16

Answer by flutterby.16 at 11:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I know that in MA the age is 12. I also know that this is not a set in stone age. My sons best friend stopped going with his father when he was 9. He started getting very bad anxiety attacks before he had to go and the court appointed him a therapist. The therapist stated that he would be better off not having to go with his father any more and he did not have to go.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my son was allowed to choose when he was 7. we are in PA. He lives with me now, but at the time he was living with his dad for 2 years and didn't want to switch schools because his best friend went there. The judge let him stay for that reason alone.
    Anonymous

• 12 here in California but a Judge will obviously decide what is in his best interest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• my lawyer told me 12 or 13 depending on how mature the kid is.. if while the judge it talking to them and heor she acts all cool and very calm and got it all together .. or unless u have a list of thigs he don't do to show their illresponsible. GOOD luck
    DJJOJO

Answer by DJJOJO at 8:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• It varies from state to state.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2008