What are some good ideas for jazzing up the house, after the Christmas decorations are put away?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 8:34 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Change the pillows, put new place mats on the table, get new candles and candle rings, add new valances or curtains, move the furniture.

I do lots of thrift shopping and always have my eyes out for lovely things to change my house. I have a huge sectional so can't move the furniture in the great room but change the accessories. Yesterday changed the stuff on top of the cabinets in the kitchen. LOVE it.
    Doesn't take lots of money to give your house a new look. Change the shower curtain and towels, add a ribbon bow around the towels.
    Pick different colors for different seasons. Just bought a gorgeous piece of fabric for $1.10 for 7 yards. A friend wanted to redo her guest bedroom.....so I gave her the fabric and she made swag drapes, 2 pillows for the bed and a coverlet for the bed. So fun and she loves it. Make pillow covers out of clothes you love but don't wear anymore.
    Enjoy!
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• No kidding it feels so empty & sad in here after all the happy lights & decorations are gone. I usually just start decorating for the next holiday, (Valentine's) but it's a little early for that... I say it's a good excuse to go out to Pier 1 and get some fun everyday accessories. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Paint a room or 2. It's inexpensive and you could either go a shade lighter or darker than what you have. Or a whole new color entirely. I have a ton of SnowBabies my mum gave me. i had some of my own, then this year she gave me all of her white ones. She now has a set of the Red Jacket ones. So all the ones I bought her over the years are now back with me LOL I am moving this month so they are packed but will be out after Christmas next year for a couple months, even though we will live in the south with no snow LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We decorate for winter even after the Christmas stuff is down. We have a winter village that stays out with white twinkle lights under a snowy cloth and our snowmen are still scattered around the house. The kids make paper snowflakes and we add those to the windows.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:52 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Plants are always good =)
    kaileymom79

Answer by kaileymom79 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I bring out my snowmen and penguins to decorate for January.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 1:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I usually take this time to give the house a deep clean and make my indoor and outdoor project list for the year.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 4:55 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• plants .. i love them there all over my house!
    mommy2be0611

Answer by mommy2be0611 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I rearrange each room after the decorations come down...
    I leave up all of the Winter decor up and mid Jan I will put
    up my Valentine decorations...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We decorate with Snowmen after all the decorations are down that way it doesn'tseem so sad and dull in here.By that time it's about time to start decoratinng for Easter then spring is here time to start spring cleaning getting outdoors and it doesn't seem so depressing then. If you don't want to do that then I would suggest just getting a few new accessories to spurse things up a bit.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2011