got an almost 4yr old and a potty situtation. help!

my son was going potty fine. would tell me and run to the potty. completely potty trained. occasional accident if he was playing too hard to think about the potty, but that's sometimes expected in a child. anyway, recently, i'd say it started about a month and a half ago, he stopped. he started holding it in. he'll stand there and cross his legs, face turning beat red with the concentration of holding (both pee and poop) it in, and when he's asked if he has to go potty, he says no. then he freaks when i take his hand and lead him to the potty. more recently it's dragging him to the potty more than leading him...i don't understand what's going on. he could care less about stickers, candy, anything i bribe him with, it doesn't matter, he still freaks. when we get to the potty, if he hasn't already gone on himself, he'll finish in the potty, if it's pee. if it's poop he just sits there, holding it in while sitting on the toilet. i don't let him off the potty until he goes. i try to distract him with books, counting tiles on the floor, you name it, i've done it. it's getting tiring.

nothing has changed, nothing drastic happened on the potty to make him scared to go. it just started happening for no reason what so ever. i'm at a loss at what to do. the only difference is that we started potty training dd. she just turned 2 1/2 and is working at it, she'll tell me about having to go poop (although a few times it's while she's in the middle of pooping, or having just finished) but she won't tell me about having to pee...if i put her on the potty every 2 hours she's normally dry and goes pee, no fuss or anything. i don't see why potty training my dd would change my ds's behavior toward the potty though. maybe you do? i am willing to do ANYTHING. even if someone on here has some old wives tale that may not work, i'll do it. ANYTHING to get him to stop this. i'm so over it, i just wanna scream!

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe he is jealous because she is going to the potty too? My son has been potty trained since October and he is 2 1/2. We just used lots of PRAISE with him.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:23 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Do you have a fun potty book? "Once upon a potty" is a good one.

Have you asked him some time when he is clean and there is no potty trauma about it?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Hi mommy! Maybe it's time to tell him he's become to much of a big boy for the potty chair. Get him some steps and let him use the real toilet. Use the word toilet. Have dad take him in and say "now that your a big boy, you get to use the toilet". Good luck!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 10:32 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• he does use the big toilet...i trained him on it. training dd on it too.
    armywife43

Comment by armywife43 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• maybe he's mad because of the attention his sister is getting...i still say potty and my kids are 2(dd) and 4(ds)...the 4 yr old just trained last month...2 yr old doesn't seem to have control over it...my son was starting to work at potty training when his sister was born and just stopped when we brought her home...it was like he relized he wasn't the baby anymore and he didn't like it...good luck
    hammomof2

Answer by hammomof2 at 3:48 AM on Jan. 2, 2011