Diet information, HELP!!

I'm a 24 year old woman. I'm going on a diet this year (yay!)

How many calories am I supposed to consume on a daily basis?

AtHomeMommy-3

Asked by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• All I know is that you need at least 1200 calories a day for your body to not store fat. Good luck!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Depending on how large you were i would work myself down to 1200 calories a day. If you do it suddenly you are going to feel very weak and sick.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Check out my journal post. Lots of useful information to get you started:) Hope it helps!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Diets and diet aids (if they even work) are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you and hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will have more energy. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big pile of vegetables before meals.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• NEVER go below 1200 calories, or you'll go into starvation mode, which means you'll hold onto fat. Have you looked into eating clean?  I have a journal post about it here

Realistically, I'd keep the calories between 1500-1600 calories if you don't want to be starving.  Lots of fiber, lean proteins, and veggies.

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• 1200 I Believe
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:55 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• around 1200 but it depends on your weight now
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2011

• 1200 is the MINIMUM your body needs...and even then, you're flirting with sending your body into starvation mode. 1400-1600 is a good area, depending on your level of activity. You have to burn more calories than you take in to actually lose the weight, but you shouldn't go below 1200 calories or your body will start to hold ON to the fat.

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• It depends on your size, weight, health issues, etc. Consult a nutrition counselor!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2011

• I eat about 1200 calories a day and I take the vitamins and I have lost 6 pds in less then 3 weeks !!!
    MelissaAsh

Answer by MelissaAsh at 11:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2011