Can he get fired over this?

My fiance' works in a hospital as a monitor tech (bascially, he watches peoples heart rates). Anyway he was scheduled to work the other day as well as today. He came down with the flu and had to call out for the other day. Last night, he thought he would be well enough to go to work and he woke and and is worse then yesterday, he can barely lift his head up. I called the nurse manager about an hour and a half before he was supposed to be there to tell her he is still sick (actually, I had to call as he can barely speak). She got really snippy and said "well we might have to count him as a no show" (I don't get that as he called in before his shift started. Anyway, this is the second shift he has missed in a row due to this illness. He has been working there 6 months and has never called out before and has only been late once due to an bad traffic accident that he had to sit in for over an hour. Now there have been other people who have done far more then this and were not fired but still he is so worried he is gonna get fired over this but there is no way he can go in. I told him I don't think they can hold it against him that he didn't come to work (in a hospital) with the flu, certainly the department of health would have something to say about that. Anyway, should he be worried, could he get fired over this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• If he goes to the Dr. and gets a note then i dont think they can do anything about it.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:42 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If he gets a doctors note, then no. They probably just think he got too drunk on new years, so yeah he could get fired if they are counting him as a no show.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Get him to the doctor first thing tomorrow so he can get a note stating that he was infact sick...many places will use not showing up on New Years day as an excuse to fired if someone calls in sick..because they will think they were actually drunk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• depends on their policies
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Some companies have policies about how long before your shift you need to call in if you are not going to make it. My sister works at a hospital and I think (not sure) that she is supposed to call 2 hours before the start of her shift if she's not going to make it. You need to know what the policies are in his place of work. Also, some places of employment have policies on calling in sick on holidays, etc. You really should get a doctors note as this might be one of the policies.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Oh yeah, I forgot about that. He's been so sick, our new years involved me feeding him broth. and him going to sleep at 7:30
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Yes, unfortuately he could be let go. The doctor's not would be the best way to remedy it. Look at the policies in the handbook.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Thanks for the adivise all. I know that if he IS sick they can't fire him but I forgot that it is new years day so they may think he is just drunk. I mean it should help him that he was sick 2 days ago and had to call out but it is def best to cover his butt and go to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• He can be. He can be written up. However, I doubt they'll count it as anything other then a sick day. It sounds like she was just bitter he wasn't coming in. He should call later when he feels better to clarify things.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Good luck. In this situation, I agree with the others about getting him to a doctor. I hope he feels better soon!
    Milaya2

Answer by Milaya2 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2011