Christmas gift drama lol

The MIL had sent some things to us in the mail for Christmas.. 2 from her and 2 that were marked from the brother in law. On Christmas my MIL called and asked how we liked everything and I told her the gifts were great and thank you and she made sure to say "Oh, and the ones that were marked from David are gifts that I actually bought, not him." .. Okay can you say tacky?? It didn't surprise me because he's never done anything like that anyways, but I said thank you again and changed the subject. So just yesterday I get this msg on FB from his brother saying "I was just wondering if yall liked the gifts? Wasn't sure since I never got a thank you for them." .. What in the hell??? I didn't want to say thank you because I was kind of afraid that he wouldn't even know what I was thanking him for and it would be awkward. Maybe I should have.. but i'm just not close to him and never have been, and MIL made sure to point it out that he had nothing to do with the gifts! Anyways.. I haven't answered his message yet because I really don't know what to say lol I think next Christmas I am going to tell that side of the family to just hold off on the gifts please because they have a way of turning EVERYTHING into a big ordeal and i'm sick of it!! My question is.. What should I say?? I feel the need to defend myself a little bit and let him know what his mother said..but then I know that will be opening up a can of worms with her. What's your advice?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:40 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Holidays

• let him know you thanked mil and thought surely she woukd let him know, but then personally thank him and leave it at that!
    jlee38340

Answer by jlee38340 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• MIL probably told David she sent gifts but put his name on it as a favor to him. He probably didn't know she was going to blab. I would just say thank you and move on. The MIL is the troublemaker here. Don't embarrass him by pointing out that she actually bought the gifts.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 9:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Thank him for the gifts and leave it at that because saying what his mother did would start a fight and cause problems if you are prepared to go into the muck and mire I say throw down but if your looking to avoid the fight just thank him. You are between a rock and a hard place I myself would start the fight but you said you didn't want to open that can of worms. GL Momma

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Pretend you don’t know the information your MIL shared and just thank David.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• just say oh thanks, sorry I didnt say it sooner, I just got caught up in the holiday cooking and cleaning etc sort of thing
    or just say it simple, thank you the gifts were great kids loved them
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Just tell him Thank You and tell him you have been so busy that you spaced it lol. He doesn't have to know that you know where they really came from.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Exactly as Cassie said - just do it and move on, that's the trials of in-laws :)
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Thanks ladies.

@pinkdragon- it isn't exactly that I don't WANT to open the can of worms, i'm just not in the mood for it at this time lol My MIL is always saying and doing things to create BS between family members and people often let it roll off their backs.

I will just thank him anyways knowing that for quite a while we will be known as the ungrateful gift receivers.
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would tell him that I was so sorry he did not get the thank you relayed from your MIL, you had spoken with her last week about the gifts and thought she would pass on the thank yous.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:59 AM on Jan. 1, 2011