How to stop pumping.

I have been pumping exclusively for 8 months. I want to stop now. What is the best way to do this?

I pump 4-5 times a day for 30 min. each time.
I get 7-8 ounces each time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gradually drop one pumping session at a time. So if you normally pump 5 times a day, start pumping 4 times a day instead. Give your body a few days to adjust to that, then drop another pumping time. Or since you usually pump for 30 minutes start to shorten the length of your pumping sessions before you gradually drop them.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The advice given by SIllieguze above is the best advice. I did exactly what she is stating when I weened my daughter and the transition was fine. With my son, I panicked and I had a huge oversupply--I was constantly having embarassing leaks (like shooting spout type leaks). I work in a local high school and I was on maternity leave. All I could think about was the embarassment of constantly leaking on my shirt at work during the day if I didn't get my "problem" under control. I decided to just "Cold Turkey" and stop breastfeeding in one day since I had to go back to work in less than two weeks. I thought I was going to DIE! Don't ever stop abruptly with pumping or breastfeeding! I was in major pain!
    Daylilyangel

Answer by Daylilyangel at 10:36 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Gradually drop one pumping session a day. Drop one session for 3-4 days and then drop another for 3-4 days etc. If you stop cold turkey not only is there major pain, but you risk mastitis which is not fun. If dropping an entire session is too much engorgement for you then try just shortening the duration of all sessions by 10 minutes for a week and then shorten by another 10 minutes for a week until you are no longer pumping.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Drop one session per week.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011