working on speech..need help

my 2 1/2yr old can't say the 'K' sound or the 'G' sound. i've tried holding her tongue so she can't say the 'T' sound in place of the 'K' sound, and it doesn't work. any advice on how to help her? there's no way i can afford speech therapy...

BTW, i don't speak baby talk to her, never have. there's kind of this thing in the family where the second born has a speech problem. i was hoping i'd be the one to break that chain but it looks as if i'm not. my sister had it, then my brother from my step mom had it, both the second child.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Contact your local social services or school district. Many areas have some sort of a birth to 3 program or Early Childhood. If the child has a need,they can't turn you away

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Family jinks... I don't think so. A 2 and half-year-old can't have speech problem yet. They are learning how to make sounds. If you make those sounds a lot than she will find out how to make it. My sister didn't say 'r' properly until she was 5. She said 'l' instead of it. She went to speech therapist but I knew she doesn't have any problem with speaking. One day I sit down with her and ask her why she didn't say 'r'. And she told because there is no point on that sound. You have to make the 'r' and the 'l' on exactly the same way and I understand anyway what does she say. So I told her that it is not true. There is difference and other people have to understand her as well. From that time she started to use the 'r'. So wait to shout speech problem until she will be at least 4. I know some kiddos who didn't even start to talk until they were 4. And today their mums wish those times back. Mhaw:P

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 10:33 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• we get free speech therapy from Early Intervention until he turned 3 and now from the Intermediate Unit...our second born too...the chart our therapist gave us says that the K and G sounds start developing at 2 and are not secure until 4...so don't stress too much yet. our son responds best with hand motions so the therapist uses certain hand motions when saying the G sound in a word and it helps. Eventually, once he masters the sound the hand motion disappears...it's worked with other sounds too. best of luck to you!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it yet. At 2, they really can't speak properly yet, and that is normal. Even at 4, many kids still mix up some sounds. It isn't anything to worry about. You keep saying it right, and they will pick up on it at some point.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• thanks ladies :) i was already concerned before she was born about it all, i could just be blowing it out of proportion. i've been working with her on it, and asked her teacher at the daycare to work on it with her as well. my son had the 'K' sound down packed before he was even 1 1/2, his first word, besides momma and daddy, was 'car'. i could be taking that and the 'jinx', if you wanna call it that, and worrying too much. she's had to be in early intervention in '09 with her physical skills, she wasn't walking yet, or crawling, let alone cruising. she was scooting on her butt instead. turns out her core muscles weren't strong yet. after some physical therapy, she finally started standing on her own and walking at 19 months. we've moved since then, but they told me to give them a call and keep them updated and if i have any other problems they can recommend some places around here they know about.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Relax :) Give her time - she is still just a baby - my mom is a speech therapist and she is always amazed at how anxious parents are for their little ones to be able to make all the sounds perfectly - she is still developing - just keep an eye on her - talk and read with her - she will listen and learn from you - don't try and control her tongue - she will get it - just relax and enjoy.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• At this age they won't say everything correctly. My son is in speech therapy and there are sounds they won't get til later. So dont stress it. Keep repeating/saying the words correctly to her. She'll pick it up.

As for whoever said 2yr olds can't have a speech problem, do some research before saying crap like that.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 6:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I'm a speech therapist and I agree with everyone else, don't worry about it!!! Honestly, don't worry about her speech unless she is 3 years old and a stranger can't understand her at least 75% of the time. Yes, there are sounds that kids usually learn to make before others but at this age it is really more about intelligibility. As a speech therapist I wouldn't be concerned about it if I could understand her half the time. If you really want to do something the best thing to do right now is MODEL it for her and not try to make her do it. Do some auditory bombardment by reading her stories that have a lot of /k/ and /g/ sounds in them. If you look at a teacher supply store there will probably be some early reading books that are devoted to certain sounds.
    BeccaGee

Answer by BeccaGee at 4:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• thanks Becca, i will certainly look for books like that! i've been stressing the letter sounds when i speak to her, like her brother's nickname starts with K, so i'll stress the letter when i say his name. or if i tell her to get her car, i'll say, go get your 'c'-'c'-car.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Yeah, I guess I always thought it was fairly normal for toddlers to have lisps or sounds they can't say, but they usually outgrow it. Enjoy it! It's cute right now! :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:14 PM on Jan. 5, 2011