NEVER leave your young children home alone even if its for a little while

I understand at these times, things can me tough. This is a story about a family. The father worked graveyard, the mother worked day. Everyday they would leave their 11, 8, and 5 yr old home alone for less then hour while one was getting home from work the other was going to work. The mobile home caught fire during that short period of time and the 5 yr old lost her life. They had family ear by but they never bothered to see if someone can watch them for less then a hour while one parent returned. Like I said I understand times are tough but it was less then a hour. Have a neighbor or a family member watch them for that very short period of time because you never know if something like this could happen.

A 5-year-old girl died in a fast-moving fire that ripped through a mobile home here.

Police said the fire began just before 7 a.m. Friday at the Clearfield Mobile Home Park at 400 South State. Three children were home alone when the fire started, Clearfield Police Chief Greg Krusi told Fox 13.

"Two of the three children were able to escape, they ran over to grandmother's trailer which is not too far away," Krusi said. "There was a 5-year-old child that was not able to get out of the trailer."

Clearfield police identified the girl as 5-year-old Harleigh Wilson. At the scene, firefighters could be seen going through the smoldering structure. Police told Fox 13 the girl's body was found in the rear of the mobile home, where a bedroom was.

North Davis Fire District Chief Mark Becraft told Fox 13 the fire appears to have been started by a clothes dryer.

"The appliance ignited some combustibles on the backside of the dryer, it quickly consumed the room and extended down the hallway," he said Friday.

Harleigh's 11 and 8-year-old siblings told authorities that the smoke detector was working inside the home, but they could not make it through the hallway to where she was. Another neighbor who rushed to help also couldn't even get inside the door, Becraft said.

"We arrived five minutes after dispatch," he said. "It was a defensive fire. We could not have made a rescue.

Neighbor Bob Walker said the fire was out of control in only a few minutes. The children, 11, 8, and 5, were home alone for only a short time, Krusi said. Their parents were both working.

"One works a graveyard shift, one works a day shift, and there's a period of time of approximately a half hour or 45 minutes which there's not a parent in the house," the police chief said.

Clearfield fire officials declared the mobile home destroyed. The Wilson family was said to be staying with relatives. The Utah Red Cross said Friday that it would mobilize a team to provide support to help the family as they struggled with the little girl's death.

"As you can imagine it's a very difficult time of year," said Laina Roundy with the Red Cross. "Anytime of year is difficult to lose a young child, especially now. But they're struggling. It's a hard thing."

At the mobile home park, neighbors were saddened by Harleigh's death. Walker said he had not met the family, but would often see the children playing outside. He last saw them hanging up Christmas decorations outside the family's home.

"Just a cute little girl," he said of Harleigh. "She didn't deserve this. It's a sad situation all around."

A fund was established to help the family, relatives said late Friday night. Donations could be made at Wells Fargo Bank in the name of Harleigh Wilson.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/kstu-deadly-fire-in-clearfield,0,3492037.story

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I really don't care of people r having hard times, it's no excuse to leave your child home without supervision. Friggen idiots...
    LogansMamma0511

Answer by LogansMamma0511 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Thats a sad story indeed, tragic. Even if the parent was home, the fire would have happend anyways and the 5 year old would have probably died as well. This is nothing more than a devastating tradgedy and shouldn't be used as someones soap box
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• it's turning into a soap box, from what I read, the 5 year old was trapped, nobody could get to her in time, and adult isn't any more superhuman than a child. No we aren't invincible and terrible accidents happend. This would not have been prevented if a parent was home, but it would have been prevented if the family had, had their dryer serviced and cleaned out. Reminds me, that is the first thing I'm going to do on monday, is call and have someone come out and service my dryer. Dryer fires are all too common
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:59 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• That's so sad =(
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:53 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• This is actually a question of how young it too young to baby sit. If the 11 year old is a responsible child, then I don't see the problem. It's not like they left the 5 year old home alone. AND the fact that the Red Cross offers babysitting courses for kids ages 11 to 16 tells me that a responsible 11 year old can be a babysitter.
    This is a tragic accident, we shouldn't judge why the family did this and just hope that they are getting the care they need to get through this tough time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• How sad and preventable. :(
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:52 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Honestly it should go without saying we shouldnt do this, but it does happen. I would also add for those who think what could happen in a short time? There are fire laws in almost every state and if something like this happens you would lose the rest of your children and your freedom because it is child abuse and criminal to do.
    If that isnt enough, then google Jonathan Foster. His mom worked Christmas Eve, and step dad checked on him. Within an hour of being checked on a killer came into the house and kidnapped and murdered him. These are bad times we live in, and I dont care how responsible we think kids are there are things beyond our control lurking and ready for us to say "Whats the worst that could happen", or "What are the odds?".

Answer by gemgem at 10:52 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• If an adult was home no, odds are an adult would have made sure the kids were alright. I dont see it as a soap box at all, just a reminder we are not invincible.

Answer by gemgem at 10:56 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• so sad
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• How sad for the family. Depending on the maturity of the 11 yr old, they are just about old enough to watch the kids aren't they? My teenager watched my twins and daughter when he was 12 and honestly I would not have trusted anyone else as he was always there I mean this could have happened when the parents were home too. I was babysitting at 10 years old after school for a 7 yr old for 5-6 hours a night 5 days a week. I cooked dinner, did homework with her, made sure she took a bath, and got to bed on time. It was the dryer that caught on fire and that could have happened in the middle of the night or in the morning when one of the parents were home....It was a mistake and there was nothing anyone could have done...except maybe not run the dryer or any appliances when the parents are not home. Do not blame the parents...I'm sure they feel guilty enough. It is just very unfortunate that it happened so quickly....:(

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2011