Flyers bill of rights cause unintended consequences?

We saw airlines canceling flights causing gridlock everywhere during the recent rain and snow storms even though they might have been able to get out with a wait. They are doing it because the new regulations include a fine per person for sitting on the tarmac for more than 3 hrs and they do not want to pay the large fine.
Unintended consequences or do you prefer waiting at the airport or paying for a hotel instead of taking a chance you may sit on the tarmac for a few hours?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This term, "Unintended Consequences"? Get used to it. We are going to be seeing lots and lots and lots of it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:41 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I'd rather sit in the airport, at least there are bigger bathrooms and more food
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Most of the time airlines will provide you with a hotel room if its a long wait. I dont fly often enough that it would affect me either way, but my parents fly alot and I am sure theyd rather wait at the airport.

Answer by gemgem at 11:01 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I spent almost 5 hours waiting on a tarmac in Houston with a 3 yr old and an 8 mo old...no hubby! It was hot, muggy and they didn't even serve us some drinks. I'll take the terminal thank you!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Sometimes new regulations do cause many more inconveniences than those they are intended to prevent. I have been fortunate that as much as I've travelled, I've never had to sit longer than an hour, but I'd rather stay in a hotel, and I always ask "what is the airlines obligation to do in this situation?" and they've always paid for a room if I'm delayed. I would always rather wait a day and fly out than be routed here and there where you also may end up getting stuck. Now, I can be flexible with my time, and some can't.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:08 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Unintended consequences is the new battle cry of the progressive (democrat) party.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Plus, they are so afraid of liability suits. We have allowed ourselves to be 'regulated' into a corner. People have demanded something be done. They did something, the airlines retract and are afraid of fines and frivolous lawsuits, so we have gridlock. Watchdog groups and special interest have helped put us in this situation.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think I would rather be in the airport than n that tiny plane just sitting for 3 hrs! And why cant they wait empty?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think that airlines do not give a crap about the people paying their bills, and feel that they can do what they want. The bill of rights and other regulations we are seeing now are a direct response and backlash to that prevailing attitude.

12 hours on the tarmac??? That is ridiculous, and abusive. I will take the airport and restrooms and places to sit comfortably, let my kids move around, eat, and be less confined any day.

With the bill of rights, perhaps the airlines should have taken a more pro-active vs reactive role in debating how to handle this sort of weather issue? Because it does happen. Usually once a year in some part of the country.

I see this as the airlines just hoping for the best, and ignoring things until they are an active problem.

Hence situations like these.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 5:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I have sat for 4 hours on the tarmac, and I have spent the night at an airport. I would much rather spend the night at the airport. When we were on the tarmac, they wouldn't serve us any drinks (though they did give us pretzels), wouldn't let us use the bathroom until hour 3, and wouldn't let us out of our seats (until they allowed us to finally use the bathroom). At least in the airport I could eat, drink, use the bathroom, and walk around.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 7:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2011