Food labeling will curb obesity?

New government regulations to help curb obesity include more food labeling. Will putting the caloric, carb, sugar etc amounts on more foods such as beef and poultry lower the obesity rate of Americans or is it just another regulation that will raise prices?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont think itll work. For one thing I am a label reader but if I want to cook or buy a pie Im going to do it anyway. Second, for those who are low income and dont have alot of money and no choice but to feed themselves or kids cheap mac n cheese or oodles or noodles is it going to matter really? You eat what you can afford. Adding labels will give food companies the excuse to raise prices on their goods because they have to add another type of label. I think it is dumb.

Answer by gemgem at 10:59 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Just raise prices ... nothing else.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:00 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Has it helped with obesity in the past? No! So why would more help in the future? Another government intervention that will cost more, just like the new school food guidelines. I do like the minimum guidelines because I do read labels and other people who are interested in their health can read them. But there comes a point when it's just too much regulation that causes extra cost that isn't needed.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:03 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i think its silly that they have to raise prices to make us more aware of what we eat.. i dont think slapping a label on something should raise the price but hey thats our government. i think it might make a slight difference, for those who really watch what the eat. some people would like to be aware of that stuff, im one of them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• You can lead a horse to water.......People who dont WANT to eat healthy WONT. Rich or poor. I was B-R-O-K-E on FS with two kids and we didnt eatjunk. Real junk is really expensive and the farm stands took FS too! We didnt eat crap because I wouldnt feed them crap and I figured out a way not too. And it's not JUST food thats the problem. It's a LOT to do with the lack of activity. I eat a lot of carb heavier foods because thats what  I like. I am not huge because I stay active. My kids stay outside and ride bikes and scooters and climb trees so they arent overweight either....and they get McDonalds and Pizza sometimes ;) Its not just food and you can not MAKE people eat right.....No matter the lables.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It hasn't worked yet. I guess they can mandate that more information be put on packaging, but it's painfully obvious that many consumers don't concern themselves with such details.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It will become yet another ineffective government funded program! We live in a very visual, marketing oriented world, where "Super-sizing" your fast-food orders is the norm! Kids have been obese for generations, and additional labels isn't going to do a darn thing to curb what "powerless" parents refuse to do for their children. After all, just look at the case with the mother suing McDonald's for making her kid fat!! (eye roll)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It's been long since proven that people eat more when they are hyper aware of how many calories they are eating. I'm not sure if this is a reaction to stress (cortisol makes you want to eat) or if it's more like, well, I'm already screwed, so I might as well eat the cake, too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:37 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Just raise prices. Another example of flawed liberal thinking.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:47 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• For those of us who DO read labels, it may make a difference, but I know other resources to get that info, so I think those that actually care enough to read labels when making their food choices already know where to get that info for things like that. That said, I LOVE that restaurants are now including calorie content on their menus. It makes a big difference for me in what I order. It's also very eye opening for the foods I've chosen in the past. But I know I'm not in the majority on this one.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:53 AM on Jan. 1, 2011