Terrible Ones?!

My son has discovered the word No although its more like "Neh" and he also shakes his head no when asked to do something like "stop" or "give me that". He has also began throwing tantrums, if i go to pick him up he goes limp and screams. He empties his entire toy box and refuses to play with his toys instead he fights with me and my SO over objects he cannot have (ie. soda cans, remotes) I don't know what to do because he's too little to understand time out (even though im trying) and I really hate having to spank (which we've been doing unfortunately) both of which aren't really having any effect since he is determined to get his way. He's also been throwing every meal on the floor and spraying milk from his cups all over the place. Is this normal?! I wasn't expecting any of this for quite sometime. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to let him know that you mean business. When he throws things take them away, when he throws a tantrum ignore him...do not give him attetnion for it...it doesnt matter if you are trying to pick him up or spanking him he is still getting attention. If he throws food take it away, then get down to his level and tell him that he is not allowed to throw food, give it back to him and tell him again ..each time he throws it take it away...it will be a long drawn out battle of wits at first but once he realizes that you are staying firm he will stop. Have patience because he is just pushing you to see what it takes to get his way. I know its hard now but it will be a lot worse if you do not stop the behavior now. Good luck momma!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• oh and make sure you talk to him like you would anyone else...they understand a lot more than we give them credit for, if you talk to him like a baby he will think you are playing and not take you seriously. Even if he doesnt understand everything you say he will certainly understand your tone.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 1, 2011