What is a proper age to leave our kids at home?

Don't go off what you state law is, what do YOU think is a good age?

I remember I was always left along when I was little. My mother went off to go drink and have sex while my dad worked. ( Dad knew what my mother did)
We were all alone from the time we all started school. Maybe not having authority around is why my brothers are felons today...

So what do YOU think is an appropriate age to leave your children home alone. I think the youngest needs to be 12. to be left home alone.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It really depends on the maturity level of the child. I was left home alone after school at age 10.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I used to babysit my two younger brothers when I was around 13 or 14..I can't remember my exact age but my brothers are 2 and 3 years younger than me...it was never a problem for us. If they were going to be gone for long then my grandpap always "mysteriously" showed up!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:18 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• This is the question I always hear but I never know the answer. I think the best age to leave your kids first alone in the house is 18. (jok(ish)... I think around 16 BTW. If a mum has to leave the house for a reason she can arrange a play date for their children or just hire a babysitter to be around while she is gone. I am so sorry you had to be alone a lot when you were a child.
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• 11 or so. I let my 11 year old stay home by herself for an hour or so during the day. Never for very long. She knows the house rules. My son is 17, so if hub and I go out at night either our son is home to watch his sister or we take our daughter to a friends house
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It depends on the situation and the maturity of the child, and the length of time that they would be left alone. I also think usually that one child left alone will follow the rules better than two or more. Better to err on the side of safety. I started when mine were 12, for just half an hour or so. Then later longer periods of time. I would never leave my older child (8 years difference) in charge of the little one. When older was 12 he could stay for short periods by himself, but not with the 4 year old there. Too big a chance to take with childrens lives.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• The Red Cross offers babysitting courses for kids ages 11 to 16. That being said, I think it depends on the responsibility level of the 11 year old.
    The same goes for a child just being left home alone. It depends on the responsibility level. My sister doesn't leave her 14 year old home alone, but when her 16 year old was that age, she did leave her home alone.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I honestly think it depends on the childs maturity. One 12 year olds capacity to stay alone may be higher than a 16 year old that is not trustworthy or mature.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• My mom left us with our older sister when she was 12, but she had also passed this baby sitters course that our town offered. Our county DFS says that as long as the child knows how to use the phone for emergences and not to answer the door they are fine to stay at home alone for not very long. but me I'm going to say 12 at the oldest.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would say 10-12. It depends on the child. I don't know how my children will be at that age. They are 6 and 7 now.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Yea hub and I have never left our kids home alone overnight. Last year when we had our over night Christmas dinner our daughter stayed with aq friend. And a friend of ours stayed at our house with our son. This past year our daughter had a sleep over with a friend of ours and our 17 year old stayed home that night, we also have an 18 year old living with us. So those 2 were fine over night
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:21 AM on Jan. 1, 2011