Putting an END to CO-SLEEPING w/my 2 1/2 year old...

Need some advice PLEASE.... about three months ago I set up my sons toddler bed and he would not stay in it therefore I fell into a habit of him sleeping with me...It was very easy for me to allow it at the time because I was at that point in my first trimester for our second child and I was very SICK so it was just easiest for me. NOW I am paying for it....I am getting bigger, he is getting bigger and it is almost to the point of destroying my marriage.....I need to put an END to it tonight. I would love to hear from other mothers who have been in this same situation. Tonight I plan to put him in his bed...do stories and prayers tuck him in and leave....I have cleaned out his room and also have put a baby gate up in his doorway...My doctor tells me to go in every 30 mins and tell him "this is your room and this is where you sleep" and leave. WOW...this is going to be hard on me.... I have talked to my son all week about this and he seems to be looking forward to becoming a "big boy"....Advice would be WONDERFUL!!!!

Julie0039

Asked by Julie0039 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't really have any advice as I never had this issue, but I want to wish you well and to tell you that consistancy is KEY to modifying any behavior. And congrats on the bun in the oven
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Prepping him is very smart. Make it a big, exciting thing about what a big boy he is. DS calls his his Big Boy Bed. He actually started coming to the bed later once we got him in the toddler bed. He still comes to our bed around 6AM, but with time, we'll keep him in his bed. Let him crawl into his own bed, make it sounds great ("Wow, look how big you are getting into your own big boy bed! What a big boy!!"). When you tuck him in, be very reassuring, give him lots of love and kisses, tell him you love him, and call it good. Make thebig boy bed as positive as humanly possible. You can do this!! =) Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:31 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• You are doing fine:) You have a clean room, a baby gate and a prepared little boy to become a big boy:) The first two weeks will be tough but it will be ok. Pt some cuddly toys around there and put a night light in his room. So he won't freak out when he wakes up. You can stay with him until he goes asleep but don't talk to him, don't do anything just sit next to his bad. You can pat his bottom or back. It calms them down and make them sleep quite quickly. Put a child monitor in his room so you will fear when he wakes up. So you can go into his room before he starts to freak out and cry. Make sure his room enough warm though. They tend to wake up if they are cold or they didn't have enough food before bedtime.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:39 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Here is a bump. I have never co-slept with my son and can't imagine. I would say consistency is key here.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:11 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• my dd just turned 2 in oct. and my ds turned 4 in july...we are also breaking co-sleeping...we just say it's bedtime, tuck them in kiss goodnight, love you, and with dd light off, ds light on, leave....ds is having the hardest time with it but for the most part will stay in bed...dd is doing way better than i thought she would...first 2 night were hard but come the 3rd she will lay there and fake cry until she relizes we're not going to come to her...she gives up and goes to sleep...good luck and congrats on the pregnancy
    hammomof2

Answer by hammomof2 at 3:42 AM on Jan. 2, 2011