Fifth's Disease

Hey everyone. I am not pregnant at the moment but actively trying. I work in a school and every year they send out a warning about fifth's disease. I know how to spot it (looks like the person was just slapped in the face -redness- and a high fever). It can be very harmful to a developing baby (a lady I sorta work with contracted the disease while pregnant and her baby has severe problems caused by it). She mentioned to go to my doctor to see if I am immune to the disease (had it before and didn't know) but my doctor says there is no way to do this.

So... my question is has anyone else been tested for this? Is there a test? She said there was, but my doctor seemed to think I was crazy (however my doctor is really old and kinda losing it). I am very worried about getting this as it seems to be more and more common in children. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

lamr

Asked by lamr at 10:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You can see if you have antibodies to Fifth's disease.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:37 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I really thought there was a blood test for that. But I guess I'm not sure. I worked at a school when I was pregnant and was exposed to it, but my mom reassured me that I had it when I was little. So maybe someone in your family could tell you if you ever had it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• There is a blood test. I don't know why your dr. doesn't know about it.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:44 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I found a site that said that there is a test that can be done on pregnant women for fifth's disease, but it sounds like the test is just to determine whether the pregnant woman has the disease, not necessarily whether she has ever had it or is immune to it. The site is: http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/fifth_disease.jsp - look for the second and third paragraphs under the "Diagnosis" heading, and read the paragraph under "Prevention."
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 11:01 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• u should get a new doctor that is current on the issues nowadays... where do u live that they send out warnings? i've never even heard of it. if it's dangerous to unborn babies u shuld definitely get a new dr who knows about it and can help u
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• my nephew had fifths disease while i was pregnant and i didnt get it and the baby is fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• You're smart to be concerned, especially working where you do. I'd make some phone calls to other doctors in your area and see if they can do the test (if it exists) for you. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• Oh, and way to think ahead, Mama!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I have been with more than a handful of women who have been tested for this, while they were at their doctor's office. Also my dd was tested for it right before the school year ended last spring -- because she had been diagnosed with it as a baby but no blood test had confirmed it. Then she showed up with similar symptoms. They then confirmed she had already had it. There is a blood test to check if you have antibodies to it (have been exposed).
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• http://www.fifthdisease.org/ Approximately 50-60% of adults have had the disease and are immune.When your sample of blood arrives in the laboratory, testing is carried out for specific antibodies that your body produces in response to fifth disease.
    Blood tests that look for antibodies against parvovirus B19 may indicate infection.

Testing may also be done when there is a question of whether a pregnant woman has been exposed to the virus.http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/000977.htm
    The LEVEL of virus in the body will tell you if it is a RECENT infection of a PAST infection.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2008