• In the Spotlight:

What are your ideas?

We all know about the obesity epidemic (and most of us are part of it). Many of us disagree with how the government is handling it. So what are your ideas to make it better?
(I put this in "politics & current events" because this is a current event that is very controversial, and may spark some debate.)

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 11:55 AM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If your choice is a non-organic apple or a Twinkie, the non-organic apple is still the better option. The "can't afford to eat healthy because organic is so pricey" is simply another excuse to avoid making better choices. Not being able to afford organic broccoli does not preclude you from getting off your duff and walking. Not being able to afford free range chickens does not mean you can't give up the processed hot dogs as a family fall back.

Obesity is not an issue because the government isn't doing enough. It's a problem because we don't want to take the personal responsibility to make better choices. It's easier to buy McDonald's than to boil up some pasta - let's ignore the fact that even Dreamfields pasta (suggested for Diabetics for it's high fiber, high digestible carb totals) and sauce for a family of 4 is a fraction of the cost of a meal at Burger King. It's not the Feds fault. it's *OUR* fault.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2011

• Bring PE back into school for kids 5 days a week instead of the one or two days a week they have it now. Kids used to have a solid 45 minutes of PE everyday at school, now they only have it once or twice a week. Recess is spent indoors when the weather is bad and the kids 'watch a movie' during their recess. Obviously, there is headway to make at home for many families, but we can't mandate that the whole family play for an hour a day.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:08 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• What can we do? It is personal choice.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:09 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I can't afford all organic. The best I can do is get all whole grain products and some organic.

***
    Why does eating healthy ALWAYS equal "going organic?! I think it's a ridiculous excuse that if you can't afford organic, you cannot afford to eat healthy! The same non-organic fruits and vegetables WE ALL grew up on will ALWAYS be healthier than fast food, Cheetos and cookies!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:46 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• It's about parental responsibility and accountability. Even if the schools don't offer PE or food that meets some peoples healthy standard~ it comes down to the parent ~ BEING A PARENT!!! Kids learn by example from THEIR PARENTS!!! My 6 yr old loves yoga. Why? Because she has seen me do it 3 days a week. My 9 year old? Is a cross country phenom. Why? Because she has seen my hubby or I get up as early as 4am to workout and run. She asked to try it. When she realized she could do it on her own ( doesn't like team sports) and it was a great break from her little sister~ she started. Now she loves to beat her personal records. Running doesn't cost a lot of money. Neither does yoga. So cost isn't an issue. Parents can make time~ but they have to get off their asses, stop looking to schools to solve this issue - AND they need to PARENT!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Stop limiting the amount of fresh fruits and veggies a local farm can produce making cost of fresh food rise. rather than raising the tax of 'junk food' why not lower the tax on fresh foods. Why not regulate fast food chains charging a dollar for a double cheese burger then turning around and charging 8 dollars for a salad. If someone wants to choose to eat unhealthy food that's fine but in some cases it is to expensive to eat all fresh and healthy foods. Look at frozen dinners. Lean cuisine 2.99 a dinner 2.50 if on sale. Michellenas 99 cents.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:01 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I was just mentioning to a friend last night the following scenario:

Picture a suburban neighborhood; 'subdivision' entrances spread down the road...now your driving behind a High School bus; which proceeds to stops at one entrance; let off 3 students...drives (I KID YOU NOT) less than 1/10 of a mile to the very next entrance (maybe 3 house lengths down) to drop off another 5 students.

We live in FL; there isn't snow or ice; there is a huge sidewalk and grassy easement; so safety is not a concern; this was a nice warm sunny day; I could see if it were raining (hurricane season) and the bus driver wanted to be nice but nope; these are scheduled stops...and people want to know why kids are fat...duh...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Honestly? There is nothing "we" can do. Ultimately the person needs to do it for themselves. I use myself as example because I'm about 75 pounds overweight. I got a wii fit for Christmas and I am joining Weight Watchers. Whether or not I turn on the wii or follow through on Weight Watchers is up to me. My dh and kids can't do it for me nor can the federal government.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 12:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Moving beyond the schools, people are lazy. Fast food, video games. "Gotta have it now" society yields obesity. Blaming genes, looking for miracle pills, and crying there is no time to excersise yields obesity. Then when lazy people have kids, guess what happens? Here we are. When it comes down to personal responsibility. Calories in vs Energy/excersise out.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Just from personal observations- For kids and teens- exercise is key- my son was the pickiest of eaters-literally never ate a veggie once he could control the spoon to mouth, despite being served 2X/day, until age 17, drank juice, whole milk (still does), ate junk at every opportunity-and was (and still is) stick skinny and fit. He is a college athlete and has always been on some sports team or another. My daughter is very active as well and at 23, has never had a weight issue. As you get older, you have to portion control. The 40's are the worst in terms of metabolism destruction, IMO. I also wonder about the role of additives and preservatives in metabolism destruction. Needing fewer calories in the 40's and 50's is so hard. Music, thanks for the link- Beach, sorry- I accidentally voted your comment down- i meant to vote it up- what a waste of time stopping like that, especially for older kids.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011