What do you think of dogs as pets?

I've never been keen on dogs but my daughter is very keen on them and is desperate for one, I don't think I'd consider one now due to a young baby in the house but perhaps when she's older I'd like to at least look into it.

I know the ins and outs, as in walking, feeding, playing with them, so mostly I think of the strains they add. however I think I'm looking for someone to tell me what they can bring to a household... I'm a bit of a neat freak which I think is my main problem with them at the moment.

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 12:07 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Well it depends on how you look at it.
    If you don't have time to train the dog then you are going to be asking for more trouble than you want! Dogs especially puppies are like perpetual 2 year olds. They get into things, chew things, mess the house... All these things can be corrected *if* you have the time and Patience to train. A well trained dog make an excellent pet. they are fun to take to the park and walk around the neighborhood. They encourage good exercise. They are very loving and make great companions.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:11 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think it depends on how you care for them, as far as what they can bring in. If you care for them, and get their shots, they really won't bring in diseases. The hair is the worst of it, so you just have to be on top of that.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:10 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I've had dogs my whooole life. To me, a house isn't a home without a dog. You could have like the crappiest day at work, come home, see their tails wagging, and how happy they are to see you, and it puts a smile on your face everytime!! They can sense when youre sad, and they cuddle with ya. Theyre just awesome animals!! I think theyre great for kids, it can teach them responsibility, whether they have to make sure to give the dog fresh water everyday, or brush the dog every day, take it on walks (depending on their age). They motivate YOU to excercise, because you hafta take them on walks. I have 3 dogs, i couldnt imagine not having them. They each bring something different into my life. My daughter loves them. They're family!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• AH! Well, they tend to lower depression rates, they give the family exercise, since they need walks and to be played with, kids LOVE them, they also lower your risk of heart disease, because of the exercise, and because they (generally) lower your stress levels. They also lower allergy risks, because the sooner kids are exposed to pet dander on a regular basis, the less likely they'll be allergic to it. Same with asthma.
    We want to get a dog (I know DS would LOVE it!), but we have NO back yard right now, and it wouldn't be fair to the dog (we want a lab).
    I wouldn't worry about your child being too young. It's good for them to grow up around a pet, and as long as you never leave the pet and the baby alone together, you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on the pet around the baby, and vice versa.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We have two, they are the only pets we have. They aren't messy. One sheds a little more than the other but with regular bathing and brushing you stay on top of it. We have a kennel outside and crates inside so they can be "put up" if needed, or if they feel the need. As far as what they bring to the household, so much! They always put out whatever we need from them, whether it's someone to love or someone to play with. They give the kids someone to care for which is great for building responsibility. Mine are very protective of the family so that brings me comfort whether it's because it's like having extra eyes on the kids outside or because with dh's work schedule we're home alone most of the night for most of the year. They only strain I ever felt from the dogs was during the puppy stage. Both of ours were pups while there was a toddler in the house. I don't recommend that, I nearly went crazy with PTing both.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• lol. I tried to offer both sides! Sorry!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I have had dogs since I was born. Ive been extremely close to 3 of them. My boxers Chase and Hannah (they passed away a long time ago) and my little man Bailey. Chase and Hannah I felt were always there for me when I was a kid. My parents were divorced and both had problems. I couldnt really count on them. But I knew that I could always count on my dogs. When I was sad, its almost like they KNEW it! They would not leave my side. When I needed a hug, I would hug them and they sat there and put their head on my shoulder as if hugging me back. Not to mention the playing when I was a kid. Dogs bring so much joy to a child.

My dog Bailey is a different story. I got him when I was 15. And I must say, he saved my life in many ways. I wasnt doing too well. And he helped me get out of it. He is still with me today. And last night was my first New Years eve alone... He felt it, and didnt leave my side.
    My girls love him to death!
    BelloItaliano

Answer by BelloItaliano at 12:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I meant as in good things they bring in, sorry for not clarifying! As in what can they bring to a family?
    leah_rai

Comment by leah_rai (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• a dog can bring lots of love to a family, they become a family member. For me, I worked full time when we got our puppy so he was at home alone a lot. I honestly think the best situation is if there is a family member present at home with the dog during the day. Its not fair to the dog to just leave it all day by itself. Ours got very lonely.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• There are lots of different breeds of dogs that have special things about them, that will fit almost any person or family. Some dogs are lazy and dont care to walk much..just be petted and fed..then there are the kind that are easy to train (border collies) that love to play, love to please, easy to care for. Dogs add so much to a family! Like others have said, they love to see you, love to go to the park, or just around the block. They love to please..my dog will bring me things..not to chew up, but cause she wants attention. She does tricks that people are impressed with..hardly no training..just lots of playing..she loves people of all ages..when you get a dog like that..ya think..how boring life was with out them.
    snwhite25

Answer by snwhite25 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 1, 2011