For 'middle class' families: How much healthier would you eat if you had an extra $100 a month in groceries?

How would it compare to what you eat now? What things would you change?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 12:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• We are too poor to be middle class but too rich to be poor enough for food stamps. I miss food stamps!!! A $100 would be a weeks worth of good groceries in my house. And truthfully I would probably buy more meat. I think I skimp too much on meat since my Hubbys last blood work showed he is getting anemic and my boys are eating like lumberjacks LOL they love meat which so far I have been able to serve as part of a meal instead of the main entree Oh yeah and fresh fruits and veggies at the end of the month would be great!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 4:36 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would be able to spend it on fruits we all love that go out of season up here- but you can still get it sliced.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Man, that would be great! We could eat a lot heathier... Not too much would change though we would just have more of what we eat now. :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would buy more fresh veggies and fruits. I am hoping to coupon more and use the savings to start buying more fresh food.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• ohhh definetly i would buy more fruit and veggies!! my daughter only likes certain fruits..but when i juice them, she loooooves them!! but, its sooo expensive to do that, so if i had the money, i would definetly do that to help benefit my daughter!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I'd buy more organic foods. We already eat really healthy (I'm in the process of losing weight, and the family eats what I eat). I'd also shop more at the farmer's market than at the store, to try to keep my money as local as I can. I go to the farmer's market when I can, but it is definitely more expensive.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:23 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We have the extra hundred a month because we stopped eating out I stopped buying coffee and make it at home to take to work and school with me. We also stopped eating fastfood already lost 20 pound from it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We would eat less processed foods. With only 200-250 to spend on groceries we eat to much hot dogs, spaghetti from a jar and my lunches at work tend to be ramen noodles or left overs! We do buy bananas every week and buy natural PB and try to use wheat bread and buns. I tend to make home made when ever I can. Frozen veggies make up half our meals and I only buy 'less' sugary cereals and yogurts. With extra money We would only have hotdogs one special occasions and more fresh veggies even though frozen isn't horrible. lol. I would eat better lunches.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Honestly, we would probably eat less healthy

Answer by rkoloms at 12:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• lol. at least you were honest! I am so sick of what we eat now I don't know if we would! Though I would see me buying ice cream more than once every 6 months I guess!

I forgot to add we are a family of four and that number includes TP and diapers (night only now yeah!)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Jan. 1, 2011