Would you rather leave your child in a daycare or employ a nanny to him/her?

Let say you have to go back to work 3 days a week. Your child is 6-month-old/ 1-year-old, 2-years-old. Do you believe the one-to-one attention or rather prefer the loads of children, loads of professional child carer situation?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 12:15 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Being a professional nanny, I would say that you should employ a nanny. This gives you the ability to keep your children at home, in an environment that they know and love. This gives you the opportunity to let them sleep while you get yourself ready for work, instead of having to get them up and dressed to get to the daycare center or home. It also gives you the flexibility of enrolling them in different activities, just as if you were with them. I have taken various children I have nannied to art classes, gymnastic classes, story times, music classes. It is really the best you can do for your babies, as they also get individual attention. It is of course the more expensive route to take, but remember, you get what you pay for. Good luck in your decision.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• ooo That's tough. Cause on the one hand they will get a lot more attention but on the other hand they would be interacting with other kids there age. Either one is a good choice. Good Luck

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Everyone keeps bringing up interaction with other kids. I just wanted to throw out there that just because a child is at home with parent sor a nanny doesn't mean they never see other kids. their are play dates and parks and church nurseries and Mommy and Me classes... I would not ever let 'child interaction' be a reason to sacrifice personal care to my child since child interaction can happen anywhere not just daycare centers. Just something to think about...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:06 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I'd prefer a nanny, personally, if I could afford it. Of course, daycare for 3 kids might be more expensive than a nanny! Just make sure you go through a reputable agency that does thorough background checks, and makes sure they're all trained properly. A nanny can take them to the park, where they can interact with other kids, and you can take them on play dates and to play groups when you have the kids.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I like my Childcare provider. She is an individual in her home. Not a daycare, not an in home child care center. Just another mom who loves kids and wanted to make a few extra dollars while staying home with her kids. She loves my daughter like her own. I have to tell her to chill out at Christmas because she wants to buy her everything! She does more than just make sure she is fed and clean. She does more than teach her abc's. Her Home is my DD second home 4 days a week for a few hours. I would never want her in daycare again after this experience. She was in daycare from 12 weeks-18 months. If hiring and in home nanny was an option money wise I would like to have tried that as well but I am very happy with the situation I have her in now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I think interaction with other children is really great they learn how to share with other kids on the other hand if someone could come to my home and babysit so I wouldn't have to take her out would be good also but I do not like someone in my home when I am not here so I myself would go with daycare
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I send my child to an in home child care provider and I am very happy with her. I would have a nanny if I could afford it. I work at home, I just cannot have my children home and get any work done. So a nanny would be good because we could all be home all day. I have been full time working since right after my maternity leave was up with both children.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• i have my daughter in a home daycare center. its great place. she interacts with the other kids and just is very well behaved and there alot of posives. i have known the person for years though so its not like i had to check out daycare centers. but other wise she only be with family. i moved closer to my parents for that matter. i do not trust nannies. too many stories of nannies caught on nannycam..hitting and abusing the children. if i can't be with her or my parents they even babysit if we need them after hours or on weekends. i believe its a personal preferance
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I would like the one on one attention for my child. I am blessed that my mom used to take care of my son, now he is in school. I used to be a nanny and took care of 2 children, which I absolutely loved. I gave them lots of attention and enjoyed being a nanny. I just feel that with little ones they need that one on one attention. Also when I was a nanny I took the children as they got older to play dates to interact with other children. You have to be able to have a level of trust with a nanny, and know she is in it for the love of a child/children. The key is to check all the references and make sure the nanny you chose, is the one that fits your family.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• im lucky enough to be a stay at home mom and have never needed to put my children in childcare thank goodness but if i had to im lucky enough to have grandma around who would watch them or a really good friend iv known for ever who has a 3year old daughter whos a stay at home mom who would watch my kids. I wouldnt want a big day care or a nanny you just never truly know whats going on when your gone.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011