What is the traditional New Year's Eve food in your culture?

In Hungary we eat lentil soup - it bring loads of money for you. And we don1t eat fish - because it swim away with your luck. Do you have any habits in your culture?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 12:18 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• It's not my culture, but here in Mexico they have a huge pork roast stuffed with fruits/nuts and various other dishes that we ate at midnight. Also people will do shots of mezcal but we're not really a drinking family so no one did that. Oh, and they eat a cup with 12 grapes inside, one for every month of the year. I guess you're supposed to make a wish before eating the grape.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:49 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I live in the south and traditional southern New Years Day food for luck is Collards, Black Eyed Peas, and Ham.
    Personally can't stand collards or black eyed peas. But I'll be having pork on my pizzas at lunch and in my cheese dip tonight.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:29 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• apples and honey

Answer by rkoloms at 4:19 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• lol..we always have either gotten pizza, chinese, or kfc for dinner on new years eve!! always!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• no traditions in my heinz 57 culture but my family always gets a bunch of party appetizers and sometimes has steak and lobster tails. on New Years day we have roast pork fro good luck. My mom always had sauerkraut too i think its a German thing but not sure.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 2:20 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We don't eat meat for Christmas Eve, and then we eat pork and sourkraut-Polish. We also eat a bread that has a coin baked in for luck, whoever gets the coin is said to be prosperous in the new year.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 4:26 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Nothing really, but one of our typical Christmas treats I just found out is apparently a New Year's treat in the old country - olliebollen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• No particular foods.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• we dont have one
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:16 AM on Jan. 2, 2011