ARMY WIFE? How do you cope?

My husband is deployed for a year and we've been married less than three months right now. It's so hard and now i'm pregnant and going back to my families. But how do you cope with the year apart? How do you keep the stress levels down

m.riley

Asked by m.riley at 12:28 PM on Jan. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• keep yourself busy, don't think about it. right after my dh left, i indulged myself in my kids and when they were asleep it was scrapbooking. if you have a hobby, get really into it. when my dh was home i always had someone to talk to or rant about my day. after he left i had nobody. so i wrote letters every night, talking about my day, how it went, how the kids were, ect. and i sent them out. after he got internet though, it stopped being letters and turned into emails and chat/phone, when he could. i didn't move back home. A) didn't want to move with 2 kids B) staying somewhere where i had and made friends that knew exactly what i was going through helped out ALOT. i didn't have time for a pitty party 'oh sad me, hubby is gone for a year, i'm stuck with 2 kids' type thing. i had kids to deal with and a life to live. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• I'm not an army wife, but a navy wife and I have learned that the most important thing you can do, like armywife said, is keep yourself busy. Find something to do that is your own while he is gone. Whether it is getting a part time job (he will be getting extra money), joining clubs, joining the Y, etc. Do something for yourself. Be YOU while he is gone. Do not be a brooding military spouse or time is going to drag, you will get depressed, and it will be an awful experience. Find ways to improve YOUR morale. If it's taking a class once or twice a week or even learning how to decorate cakes. You have to live your life. Trust me on that one. Good luck!!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:58 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• SKYPE!!! Its hard, so hard. My husband is now out of the ARMY... but its super hard. I didnt have family around the last time. Just try to meet other friends in the same boat as you, that sometimes help. I did my whole last pregnancy by myself with a 2 year old. Glad it over. Hope your year goes by fast!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 1, 2011

• Well i agree with all these comments so far! My bro-n-law has been in army for 15 yrs and has 5 more before he retires! My sister keeps busy with my niece, scrapbooking, painting, and yes family does help! GL You will do OK!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:26 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I went home and lived with his family. My husband has deployed 3 times in the 4 years of us being married. Its tough. I kept myself busy with my kids and thankgoodness was able to talk to him everyday. Either through skype or the phone. Sype was better because my girls got to see him so it was easier on them when he came home. I would always go shopping for him and send boxes, it brought me happiness to buy his favorite things. The last month will drag by, so try to keep yourself busy by getting prepared for his homecoming :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:29 AM on Jan. 2, 2011

• I also slept with his pillow and kept a bottle of his cologne around. I was as silly as to let everything he left stay right where it was and I never touched it. For some reason it made me feel better, gave me constant reminders that he would be home soon. Try to keep your head up!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:34 AM on Jan. 2, 2011